View Full Version : win98 convert FAT32 -> NTFS

ubik
12-17-2005, 10:04 PM
i read somewhere that windows 98 will not accept NTFS partitions, is this true? it will not be able to run off a NTFS partition or will not pick them up entirely? if i had 2 partitions one which had windows installed on it(C) and 1 for storage(D), could i leave C: in FAT32 and change D: to NTFS using something like partition magic? would it corrupt any of my data or anything of that sort? or could i even convert both of them to NTFS without a problem?

this is all because of the 4GB file size limit on FAT32 that im experiencing. appreciate any input, thanks.

oracleguy
12-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Windows 98 isn't capable of reading NTFS. You could use a third-party driver to get read access to an NTFS drive in 98 but I don't think you can do have write access too.

You'd probably just want to upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP and then you could convert your partitions to NTFS without any problems from the OS.

ubik
12-17-2005, 10:37 PM
thanks. i was just trying to turn 5 .vob files into 1 .vob file to convert to divx, i guess ill just use the free DVD shrink to compress the .vob below 4GB before i compress to .avi

I have had XP PRO before in the past but upon install i was told that some of my favourite hardware such as my tv tuner were not compatible with the operating system. have not tried 2000, ill give it a try. thanks again.

oracleguy
12-17-2005, 10:40 PM
How long ago was it that you tried it? You might be able to find XP drivers for it out on the internet, you could of course check before you tried to upgrade so you didn't waste your time.

ubik
12-17-2005, 11:09 PM
i tried this just about few hours ago today. kept gettings errors on 3.99 GB so i looked into it and figured it was cause i had FAT32 partitions. With XP drivers will i be able to also write to NTFS because that is what i need, not just read.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum