View Full Version : what do you think of dell?

12-16-2005, 09:17 PM
The custom dell xps system looks pretty nice, and I would like it for christmas

can anyone tell me if its a good buy for about 3,625

or should i look else where for a custom built computer?

12-16-2005, 11:57 PM
I purchased a Dell about 6 months ago, and returned it after less than a month. It worked great for the first couple of days, but then all of the sudden it started to locking up. First it would do it like once a day, and then it got to be more and more frequent. I suspect it was overheating, but I am not sure to be honest. I do technical support for a living, and I didn't feel like I should have to do it at home too just so I could use my computer. So, I sent it back to them, and surprisingly they didn't argue at all. They gave me my money back without a fight. I ended "newegging" myself a system in the end.

Interestingly enough, when the guy from DHL came to pick the Dell up he says to my wife, "I been picking a lot of these up lately!"

12-17-2005, 12:01 AM
We have a Dell Desktop, a Gateway Desktop and a Gateway laptop and I have never once had to fix the Gateway Desktop in the 4 years that i've had it and the laptop has never had a problem in the past 2 years we've had it. The Dell on the other hand I had to replace the PSU twice and the NIC twice. At work we use all Dells and we had to have a Dell representavie show up and replace the motherboards on several of our Dells because they had leaky capacitors.

12-17-2005, 01:29 AM
I have a Dell laptop, its like a year and a half old and I've had to replace the hard drive in it. Dell computers are okay for the price you can get them at but their technical support can be a pain and thats probably an understatement. You'll find it even more painful if you actually know your way around a computer too. Granted, I've learned a few tricks to get them to do what you want and once I convince them that a given part was bad then they'd be pretty accomidating, shipping stuff next day air, etc.

Their XPS line is like their gaming computer line isn't it?

12-17-2005, 06:39 AM
yes the xps is their game system....you'd think it'd be quality...but from what i just read....maybe not :(

12-17-2005, 11:32 AM
I had a dell for about a year going on 2 years now.. but the thing about it is that.. with the computer I use now its so easy to remove virus' if i get any and malware and spyware and all that.. but with my dell id remove it and my system would just get worse and worse.. so to answer your question.. forget dell..:thumbsup:

12-17-2005, 11:26 PM
yes the xps is their game system....you'd think it'd be quality...but from what i just read....maybe not :(

Its so-so, I mean there isn't anything really wrong with them but they aren't the best in town.

12-18-2005, 04:11 PM
In answer to the original question of whether or not I'd spend the nearly $4K on a Dell gaming machine... No. I could build something on my own that would blow that away in quality and power if I had the $4K to spend. :cool:

12-18-2005, 04:31 PM
I dont know if they have changed or not, but the last time I opened up a Dell and had a look inside the build was very shabby. Wires and looms were everywhere, no attempt was made to tidy/neaten them up. To me it says that they dont take pride in their work.

I personally wouldnt buy a Dell (prob because I sell HP/IBM for a living) because of the shoddy build.

12-18-2005, 04:37 PM
I do however like the way Dell has their drives installed with the green quick release clips. Those are nice.

12-18-2005, 05:41 PM
The company I work for leases Dell servers to their customers, and I know that if you purchase one of their business systems instead of a home system, you will get Texas on the phone for technical support instead of India, or Pakistan, or wherever it is. So, if that makes a difference to you at all, and you're dead set on a Dell, you might want to go that route. You can configure their business models pretty closely to the higher end "home" models. That's what I did, but as I mentioned above, I ended up returning it anyway.

12-18-2005, 06:08 PM
I would never buy a dell computer. For one, I know people who have had Dell computers and have had either problems with them or just crap after sales service. I also don't like the designs of their cases - grey and black...yuck.

12-18-2005, 10:41 PM
I know that if you purchase one of their business systems instead of a home system, you will get Texas on the phone for technical support instead of India, or Pakistan, or wherever it is.

That is definetly true, I've had to talk to people in the business and goverment divisions and you can talk to people that actually speak english unlike their home division.

12-21-2005, 10:02 PM
I have two Dells and they run pretty well for what they are. Usually, you can save some money when you go Dell or the like because they can get their components cheaper than you can. However, with the amount of money that you're talking about, I'd like to see the specs. That's quite a lot. I'm sure that you could get an AMD X2, mobo, a couple 7800GTs, etc. for that price.

12-21-2005, 11:11 PM
From what I can see, most Dells are overpriced for what they are..as I say, I'd never buy one. I build all my own computers..easier :)

12-22-2005, 12:45 AM
I've been using Dell computers since >dare I say it?< about 1993 - woohoo top of the line 486 dx2 with 8 - yes count em 8 - megs of ram and a 300 meg (something pathetic like that) hard drive!!

But seriously - I have a Dell at the office right now and have been using it for about 4 years - never had any trouble at all - never had any trouble with my laptop either which is about 3 years old now

At home I currently have a brand spankin new Gateway - this is the second one I've ever had and never had any trouble with them

My favorite pc experience was my HP 500 which I finally had to replace with my new Gateway.

With all that said - for a heavy gaming atmosphere I would get a custom system