View Full Version : Strange character name

bauhsoj
12-14-2005, 09:47 PM
What is the following character called: 

I haven't been able to find a reference to it or its equivalent HTML entity code. Don't even know if it will show up in the post correctly.

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Where did you see that character? What are you typing to get it to show up? The keyboard code is U+251C and its name is "Box Drawings Light Vertical and Right" and it seems to be unicode.

bauhsoj
12-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Where did you see that character? What are you typing to get it to show up? The keyboard code is U+251C and its name is "Box Drawings Light Vertical and Right" and it seems to be unicode.

I was viewing a plain text data feed that mysteriously had that character in various odd places throughout. Trying to figure out what I can do to detect it and get rid of it using PHP code.

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-15-2005, 07:21 AM
How was the text data created? Programs like MS Word will make characters like that.

bauhsoj
12-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Just a plain text document that has to be read periodically by a PHP script. I am pretty they aren't supposed to be there and I have contacted the creator to see what the problem is. In the meantime I am just trying to figure out how to get rid of them as they are showing up in place of what should be an apostrophy.

felgall
12-15-2005, 09:25 PM
That is the default character that substitutes for each character not defined in the current character set. To fix it change to using a character set that contains the characters you want it to use.

Tricia
12-16-2005, 01:54 PM
and you do that <changing character set to one that contains the characters you want to use> how? *blink*

degsy
12-16-2005, 04:02 PM
It can happen if you open an ASCII file in BINARY mode. It usually replaces carridge returns.

bauhsoj
12-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Managed to get the person who originally generated the file to fix the problem. Don't know what they did, unfortunately.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum