PDA

View Full Version : Strange character name

bauhsoj
12-14-2005, 09:47 PM
What is the following character called: 

I haven't been able to find a reference to it or its equivalent HTML entity code. Don't even know if it will show up in the post correctly.

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Where did you see that character? What are you typing to get it to show up? The keyboard code is U+251C and its name is "Box Drawings Light Vertical and Right" and it seems to be unicode.

bauhsoj
12-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Where did you see that character? What are you typing to get it to show up? The keyboard code is U+251C and its name is "Box Drawings Light Vertical and Right" and it seems to be unicode.

I was viewing a plain text data feed that mysteriously had that character in various odd places throughout. Trying to figure out what I can do to detect it and get rid of it using PHP code.

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-15-2005, 07:21 AM
How was the text data created? Programs like MS Word will make characters like that.

bauhsoj
12-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Just a plain text document that has to be read periodically by a PHP script. I am pretty they aren't supposed to be there and I have contacted the creator to see what the problem is. In the meantime I am just trying to figure out how to get rid of them as they are showing up in place of what should be an apostrophy.

felgall
12-15-2005, 09:25 PM
That is the default character that substitutes for each character not defined in the current character set. To fix it change to using a character set that contains the characters you want it to use.

Tricia
12-16-2005, 01:54 PM
and you do that <changing character set to one that contains the characters you want to use> how? *blink*

degsy
12-16-2005, 04:02 PM
It can happen if you open an ASCII file in BINARY mode. It usually replaces carridge returns.

bauhsoj
12-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Managed to get the person who originally generated the file to fix the problem. Don't know what they did, unfortunately.