View Full Version : Hijackthis Log File

Rocket Boy
12-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Hey... Does anybody know how to decipher the Hijackthis log file?? It comes with a million warnings about not deleting anything before checking with a knowledgable user!?

Incidentally, I strongly suspect that the hacker is a member of this forum.

Thanks in advance

EDITED.... I think I can identify two hackers from this forum!!!

mark87
12-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Just run HijackThis, click 'Do a system scan and save a logfile". Open the logfile and paste the contents here and I'll have a look.

How do you think you've been 'hacked' ?

Rocket Boy
12-14-2005, 04:19 PM
Im not sure... I will post the log here as you request but I guess I might not have to bother pending your thoughts on this reply...

I replied to a post here about supplying some graphics, the site became available and I joined the forum. Since then, my 2mb broadband has been going at more or less dial up speeds. The other day, the forum disappeared so did the person I was dealing with and my connection speed has returned to normal. Everything seems ok on my PC but I have no idea if anything has been stolen and I have no idea if the background functions on my PC were being used for something else (dunno.. diverted downloads or something!?)

Grateful for your thoughts. Thanks

mark87
12-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Do you want to post the log file then? :p

JamieR
12-14-2005, 05:55 PM

Please explain...

In terms of Hijackthis, it'd be useful if you could post the log here, then we could have a look.

mark87
12-14-2005, 06:00 PM

To be honest, it sounds like you have no clue what you are talking about.

How are you being 'hacked' ?

How did you come to the conclusion the 'hackers' are from this forum? IP's are not publically viewable, and even if they were, you can't do much with an IP these days.

Exis
12-14-2005, 07:40 PM
To be honest, it sounds like you have no clue what you are talking about.

Ha! I get that vibe, too, just from the sytanx and semantics you used, Rocket. A lack of speed on your home PC can happen for tons of reasons. This type of thing happens to every computer I am on every now and then. At my house, I have a terrible ISP that seems to fluctuate my bandwith randomly from week to week, but they are the only cable internet provider in town and I am stuck using them. There are thousands of feet of cable between your modem and the ISP, and even more from there to the rest of the internet, so your speed problem could be connected to tons of error points. Maybe the cable lines were overpacked. Maybe a server or two went down with your ISP. Maybe Chuck Norris threw a Super Kick to a phone pole supporting your cable line down the road.

JamieR
12-14-2005, 08:43 PM
you can't do much with an IP these days.

You can if you're a malicious hacker and want to bugger around with someones computer, you can do if they haven't taken obvious and simple security security measures such as installing a decent firewall and fully updating their computer with the latest patches etc and you have their IP address...

Some people get confused about loads of IP addresses entering their firewall logs trying to access certain ports...99% you don't need to worry about it as the source of the IP is a server connected with a piece of software you're running maybe or something connected with something you're browsing etc.

oracleguy
12-14-2005, 09:06 PM
Incidentally, I strongly suspect that the hacker is a member of this forum.

Thanks in advance

Oh? Please, do tell, what brought you to this conclusion? I'm not implying the possibility of hackers being on this forum is non-existant, but your statements definetly need some further backing.

Just because you replied to a post here, doesn't mean someone can just hack you. Whatever IP address you used when you posted is logged but the only people that can see that is the moderator(s) of the forum it was in and the admin.

Exis
12-14-2005, 11:08 PM
Oh yeah, followup question: Why was it just you that got omgh4x0r3d and nobody else? If someone WAS going to use these forums for some hacks, they would most likely hack a ton of members PCs for use in some virus distrobution or for a giant DoS attack instead of picking out one random member and accessing his/her computer for a little while.

EDIT: post your hijackthis log already so we can take a look :D

EDIT2: Sweet new edit-in-same session button upgrage. That is way better than loading a new page to edit in! When did we get that?

mark87
12-14-2005, 11:40 PM
EDIT2: Sweet new edit-in-same session button upgrage. That is way better than loading a new page to edit in! When did we get that?

A few weeks ago! :)

Actually on the 22nd of October to be exact, http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=70783 .

Rocket Boy
12-15-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks for hearing me out before drawing your conclusions.

I cant post the log file here now because the people in question use this forum. I guranatee it, I could even tell you who they are but I guess you will be ok figuring them out by yourself!!

Due to your responses though, I should probably leave you all to it and find the answer to my Hijackthis question somewhere else.

:confused:

missing-score
12-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks for hearing me out before drawing your conclusions.

I cant post the log file here now because the people in question use this forum. I guranatee it, I could even tell you who they are but I guess you will be ok figuring them out by yourself!!

Due to your responses though, I should probably leave you all to it and find the answer to my Hijackthis question somewhere else.

:confused:

Well why dont you give their names to WA (the admin) and see what comes of it... Could you tell us how you came to the conclusion that they are from this forum though?

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-15-2005, 01:34 AM
http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/3730/a0370fb.gif
Lets be realistic here...http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/sad/1011.gif

JamieR
12-15-2005, 01:46 AM
I reckon this thread will be nuked...it's already gone well off topic from the original question.

Rocket Boy
12-15-2005, 01:58 AM
OK....

It wasnt just a hack it was a scam involving a conversation with people following my reply to a post on this forum..
and by the way...

I got the log file checked and there was malicious content in my registry

Maybe next time somebody asks for advice you could listen to what they have to say first? dickheads

missing-score
12-15-2005, 02:01 AM
Nice job quickly editing your post to remove the swearing...

Anyways, if you are really concerned please get in contact with Myself or WA via Personal Message (I can pass your info onto WA if you dont want to contact him directly). If you have been hacked by known CF members it wont be taken lightly, but we do need to know some information about it, such as how you know it was from CF...

Exis
12-15-2005, 02:03 AM
Well as long as this thing is getting nuked, I have a few questions...

Rocket, are you one of those guys that believes that whole jet-trails-are-actually-the-government-spraying-chemicals-on-us conspiracy? If you aren't you should look it up. Seems like something you could really get into :thumbsup:.

If you are watching alot of the Sci-Fi channel, or subscribe to that black and white magazine that always has articles on Batboy and Frankenswine (The Sun I think its called...), put on your foil hat becuase I am gonna tell you something you can never let the aliens know...

:eek: KNOCK IT OFF.:eek: There is no conspiracy theory against you or your home pc. I hate to be the one to say it, but you will be fine. Don't worry, be happy, and have plenty of fiber in your diet.

EDIT: You forgot to capitalize the "d" on that last word there big guy...

Rocket Boy
12-15-2005, 02:40 AM
Nice job quickly editing your post to remove the swearing...

Anyways, if you are really concerned please get in contact with Myself or WA via Personal Message (I can pass your info onto WA if you dont want to contact him directly). If you have been hacked by known CF members it wont be taken lightly, but we do need to know some information about it, such as how you know it was from CF...

Perhaps I would be able to help you solve your concerns if my original post had been taken more seriously but instead, now that this has reached a conclusion, all you have done is loose a member.

Easier for me just to stay clear.

missing-score
12-15-2005, 02:42 AM
What conclusion has it reached... i for one am trying to take this a bit more seriously than everyone else, but if you cant provide myself or WA with any information then there is nothing we can do.

Element
12-15-2005, 04:01 AM
What conclusion has it reached... i for one am trying to take this a bit more seriously than everyone else, but if you cant provide myself or WA with any information then there is nothing we can do.
Yes, Rocket Boy, I do think missins-score is trying to help. Don't be so easy to leave because it only shows that you really don't need to be here.

For one, if you have information regarding hackers on this site, you should feel obligated to inform a moderator or administrator to take extra precautions. Otherwise you are with-holding information concerning th well being and security of this site. Big no-no, and darn right disrespectful.

Also, you can't hold the users of a forum responsible for the responsive. From expirence I have learned your responce varies by the post you make. (No, really? Lol.) And if you don't explain things and/or don't do what users ask you to actually help you, you might get negative responses and lead members to wonder why they are wasting time on you, not the other way around.

oracleguy
12-15-2005, 04:28 AM

I was also being serious earlier as well. If your system really did get compromised as a result of being here, our staff would definetly like to know about it so we can do some investigation and prevent any such things in the future. If there is a hole, we want to patch it.

Exis, you are a tad out of line there, you didn't need to take it that far.

Exis
12-15-2005, 10:50 PM
I was also being serious earlier as well. If your system really did get compromised as a result of being here, our staff would definetly like to know about it so we can do some investigation and prevent any such things in the future. If there is a hole, we want to patch it.

Exis, you are a tad out of line there, you didn't need to take it that far.

I am being serious, too. What reason would someone have to come on to CodingForums, start an account, and hack one random member's PC? I am trying to debunk that unlikely situation for him. If he likes believing that sort of thing, I suggested another venue he might enjoy, such as the plane-trails conspiracy. If he wants to snap back into what scholars call reality, I suggested a solution to the theories rolling around in his head...simply stop thinking these ideas up. Finally, I tried to help with his semantics and sentence stucturing so in the future he might be able to get more help from forum members. The correct application of english can help quite a bit in the conveyance of an idea.

Too much help then? :confused:

If anyone took anything too far, it would be the use of expletives in forum posts that directly attack the general forum public and that generally offend people.

My latest help for Rocket would be this: the difference between "loose" and "lose"-

1)Loose: (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=loose) Not fastened, restrained, or contained: loose bricks. etc...

2)Lose: (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lose) To be deprived of (something one has had): lost her art collection in the fire; lost her job.

EDIT: Morale of the story: Don't get mad, get Glad.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum