View Full Version : font size in mixed html/php document

skinny13
12-13-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey

My site has a php forum embedded in an html page. I can not get my font size in the html document to change. I don't know if its a matter of the forum stylesheet over-riding the rest of the document or what. Can anyone help?

the site is at www.teamskinny.ca/home.html

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-13-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm guessing you are having the problem in IE? If a font-size is set in px then IE can't resize it. Other browsers can. Also your stylesheet shouldn't go in your body, it should go in your head tags. So anywhere in your stylesheet for your forum that you see font-size set with px you need to change it to a different unit like pt or em.

skinny13
12-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks. Being fairly new to this, what are the units entered for pt or em? Is pt the same as the older typewriter "point" system? where 3 pt would be fairly small?

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-13-2005, 11:43 PM
Yeah, where as em would be the width of the letter m in that font-family.

mark87
12-13-2005, 11:53 PM
Yeah, where as em would be the width of the letter m in that font-family.

I never knew that. I had a feeling they were relative to their container or something?

A point size (pt) is also fixed in IE by the way, and cannot be resized - the same with px - so em's are the best option. 1 point = 1/72 inches.

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-13-2005, 11:56 PM
My bad an em is actually the height of a character. Read here (http://www.htmldog.com/guides/cssbeginner/selectors/) for more info.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum