View Full Version : Review: www.music-abuse.com

gcpmusic
12-11-2005, 11:27 PM
I've just finished this new eCommerce website www.music-abuse.com. Can you people just suggest me how it looks, its search combination, navigation, product offering, content, internal pages and about anything else.

Can you suggest, more features and anything special to make it better? Thanks very much!

Cerciello Giuseppe
www.music-abuse.com

rmedek
12-12-2005, 02:53 AM
You should have this moved to the site reviews forum.

This site sucks. I'm just saying.

It starts with a splash intro page, so I pressed "enter." What happens? A new window spawns with ANOTHER splash page while the page loads. The page I finally get to is covered in enough Flash to freeze Camino, not to mention starts off playing music before I had a chance to turn my speakers down.

I hit "stop," look an another page and—whaddya know—the music starts again. So I hit "stop" and "close."

Oog.

In all honesty I think you need to forget about "cool effects" and concentrate on the people who have to go through the business of using your web site.

gcpmusic
12-12-2005, 11:43 AM
I entirely agree with your comments, infact I am forced to go this route for this reason:

1. The start splash page has been created to open a new controlled window to avoid the block popups in vogue in today browsers. The reason why I needed the controlled window is to disable the browser back button as the site has been developed entirely in flash. I can't think of any other solution to avoid the browser back arrows. I would appreciate any idea about.

For the intro animation presentation I can take it away and just leave a link if the user like to see it later that's not a problem if I do realize that users get annoyed about it.

Thanks allot for your comment.

mark87
12-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Agree too with the above.

Why even make me open a new window?! You should just point the domain to http://www.music-abuse.com/index.php .

The coding is very bad, and why-oh-why is the whole site in Flash? Great, there's a little animation in between loading pages, but do the majority of end users really care? Nope. Will it stop some users accessing your site? Yup.

Don't get me wrong, it looks okay, well with a few exceptions such as those tacky play buttons; but I don't think many of the users will even bother staying on the site for more than a minute. :o

gcpmusic
12-12-2005, 07:25 PM
mark87 thanks for your time and comments, really appreciated.

gC

rmedek
12-12-2005, 08:21 PM
infact I am forced to go this route for this reason:

1. The start splash page has been created to open a new controlled window to avoid the block popups in vogue in today browsers. The reason why I needed the controlled window is to disable the browser back button as the site has been developed entirely in flash. I can't think of any other solution to avoid the browser back arrows. I would appreciate any idea about.

You could a) not develop the entire site in Flash, and b) not disable the back button.

I'm assuming you want to sell music via this site; have you considered the people who will visit your site and what their needs are, or did you just go with all Flash because it's cool?

gcpmusic
12-13-2005, 02:47 AM
Ok guys, I do see all your points and on some I do agree and I really appreciate your comments, thanks allot, after all I am not a designer but a musician. But, just for the conversation, what really I don't understaind what is your matter with flash! if my design is crap that's ok it's all my fault but flash is an amaizing piece of technology with should make specially you guys "that have the know how for design" really happy!

Yes surely you can built a fake "multimedia" site in html but will always be a crap, dated and with all the browsers and platforms compatibilities issues. In the end you can only see one big design cliche. They all looks like a template to me. Happelly I putted all this behoid me last millenium.

I feel that an artist should have the balls to be creative and innovative and forget about the stupid sticky tables that just kills your immaginations if there is one. I f you have a good design skylls you will be a fantastic designer using flash technology that, at list as I proved, is capable to technically complete a full blow eCommerce website.

Ok flash still has some drowback but are becoming smaller and smaller today. Re-think about! after all is up to you to make a great design. Flash gives you all the tools you can dream off in the booring html world.

Finally rmedek getted to the real point:

"have you considered the people who will visit your site and what their needs are"

That's exactly what I am doing, trying to provide the best multimedia music they can find. If you need a particular music would you care about my design . . I don't think so . . . but you will be glad to quickly search and purchaise a legally sicure license paying via the most established Payment processing on earth "PayPal". In minutes you are up and getting along with your productions.

Hope this is not getting out of the topic.

Cheers
Cerciello Giuseppe

rmedek
12-13-2005, 03:30 AM
It's not the Flash I have a problem with—used well it's extremely effective and can be a great creative tool.

The issue I have is it seems you've ignored the needs of your user—someone who wants to quickly search for music, purchase a license, and get on with their production—in favor of animation, background music, and effects. It's just not very user-friendly. In your all Flash design there's no back button, no copy/paste of information, no bookmarking, no search engine friendliness, and no accessibility for the disabled.

I say wait a while, and if the clients are knocking down your door due to your leet web design skillz I'll take it all back and apologize. In the meantime, after two spash pages, one pop-up window, pages that refuse to pay attention to my no-background-music preferences, and a forced user registration before I can even start browsing music… well, let's just say I wouldn't stick around.

gcpmusic
12-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Hello Richard,

There are back buttons everywhere specially where you need one.

There is no way to rip anything off this site (thanks flash) no copy/paste purposly enabled unless necessary.

I don't see the point to bookmark from the site or from the browser, still one click.

I Implemented the Google SDK and I can only wait to see how effective will be.

Sorry I am missing something here, what you can do about the accessibility for the disabled in html? if there is a way surelly can be done mutch better in flash.

Best wishes
Cerciello Giuseppe

NancyJ
12-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Why post here if all you want is for us to say your website is great?
I have no idea what your site is like because I dont have flash 8 (which I assume is what I need to see it).

I'm at work and I have to log on as administrator to install things on this computer, I'm certainly not going to go to all those lengths just to look at your website. I'm sure if I was looking for that sort of thing, there would be loads of sites able to accomodate my needs.

From your comments its obvious that you know nothing about web design and have no interest in learning.

JamieR
12-13-2005, 06:03 PM
There is no way to rip anything off this site (thanks flash) no copy/paste purposly enabled unless necessary.

I really don't like your site...no offence.

Anyway, I can just Sothinks SWF Decompiler to decompile your SWF into a FLA and rip anything off it, providing it isn't protected.

NancyJ
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
I really don't like your site...no offence.

Anyway, I can just Sothinks SWF Decompiler to decompile your SWF into a FLA and rip anything off it, providing it isn't protected.
There are loads of tools now that you can install as browser plugins and rip a swf and decompile it in 1 click. Anyone who thinks flash is going to protect them from having their stuff stolen is naive.

gcpmusic
12-13-2005, 07:13 PM
In your all Flash design there's no back button, no copy/paste of information

I am not concerned at all about the ripping off of flash. I used this term only replying to the post above. Copying and pasting from any intellectual property shouldn't be done.

Why post here if all you want is for us to say your website is great?
I have no idea what your site is like because I dont have flash 8 (which I assume is what I need to see it)

As I sayed, I do see all your points and on some I do agree. I really appreciate your comments and I do am learning allot from them. Will not do any good to me if people just say great or bad site. This is very constractive not only for me but for everybody reading this thread.

Anyway how can you partecipate if you are unable to view the subject of this thread?

Cerciello Giuseppe

JamieR
12-13-2005, 07:14 PM
There are loads of tools now that you can install as browser plugins and rip a swf and decompile it in 1 click. Anyone who thinks flash is going to protect them from having their stuff stolen is naive.

Indeed.

The whole site looks *really* bad - I mean, not just from a design point of view. The code, well dare I say anything about it?

The design is just a load of flashing and moving images/text..."cool" effects like this, aren't cool.

gcpmusic
12-13-2005, 10:14 PM
to which code are you referring, the flash code or the html code?

NancyJ
12-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Anyway how can you partecipate if you are unable to view the subject of this thread?

That should tell you something for a start. I cannot view your site.. at all, you required the very latest flash plugin, which I dont have and cant get on my machine at work. There are also people who I know have had problems with it and have rolled back to 7, but you provide no alternate content for these people.

After viewing it at home, I'm glad I couldnt see it at work. The design is awful, the animations are amatuer and unecessary and your flash coding needs a lot of work. I had to shut the site down after returning to the homepage and finding the stop button broken leaving me stuck listening to that load obnoxious 'music' you have on your home page.

If I were you I'd go read a few text books on design and usability and then if you really still want to make it in flash, go read a decent flash book too. Then start the whole thing again from scratch.

gcpmusic
12-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Thanks allot NancyJ for your time and advice. Really appreciated.

By the way I liked your portofolio.

Best wishes
Cerciello Giuseppe

mark87
12-13-2005, 11:46 PM
Thanks allot NancyJ for your time and advice. Really appreciated.

By the way I liked your portofolio.

Best wishes
Cerciello Giuseppe

Always good when people can take criticism instead of just ignoring the problems and never posting again!

I'm sure I speak for others as well when I say I'd be interested to see how your site will change and develop gcpmusic. :)

NancyJ
12-14-2005, 12:04 AM
When you want to takes someones money do not put obstacles inbetween your bank account and their wallet, such as unrequested music - causing instant shut down to anyone working in a shared environment, pointless animation and loading times, compulsory registration etc
Never needlessly reduce your target audience. Your site is visible only to those who have the latest flash player, some people dont even have the latest versions of their browsers, nevermind plugins. From what I've seen of your site, you're targetting professionals, you're a business to business service - but your site isnt targetted at busy professionsals in a shared work environment, who wont necessarily be able to install things on their computer and who dont have the time or the patience to watch silly animations with no purpose.

A good ecommerce site should:
1. Be clear about what their selling
2. Be easy to search for desired products
3. should make paying for products easy
4. should have optional signup facilities to remember details for next time/order tracking etc.

The first thing a new user to your site should see is either, what they want or how to get at what they want. Anything else is an obstacle between you and your customers money.

gcpmusic
12-14-2005, 01:09 AM
I had allot advice from many similar forums but none so valuable. Great community. I am going to do some home work in consideration of your suggestion but right now I need a break.

I worked hard for 1 mounth to create this website, specially the php and mySQL side which also I am new. First I need to clean my mind a bit writing some music. I will post again the new version ready to be knoked down :-)

If I can be of any help in regards audio issues, please let me know gc@music-abuse.com

Thanks allot again and Marry Christmas to all of you.
Cerciello Giuseppe

rlemon
12-14-2005, 05:49 AM
full screen???

EWWWWWW

half the site looks like tutorials the other half looks like you did it by hand

- or -

half looks 'ok' and half look like you didn't really care when making it.

rmedek
12-14-2005, 09:37 PM
I had allot advice from many similar forums but none so valuable. Great community. I am going to do some home work in consideration of your suggestion but right now I need a break.

I worked hard for 1 mounth to create this website, specially the php and mySQL side which also I am new. First I need to clean my mind a bit writing some music. I will post again the new version ready to be knoked down :-)

I'm glad you're taking all this advice to heart… most of us here are harsh now and then 'cause we feel pretty strongly (obviously) about making the most of the web. I'm looking forward to seeing the new version!

missing-score
12-14-2005, 11:21 PM

If I can be of any help in regards audio issues, please let me know gc@music-abuse.com

Thanks allot again and Marry Christmas to all of you.
Cerciello Giuseppe

I reckon this guy should get an award lol. Seriously, I cant remember anyone taking criticism so well, which is a great thing. I agree with everyone elses comments, but look forward to seeing the next incarnation of your site.

gcpmusic
12-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Thank rmedek, the initial splash page is not there anymore and I am working on the start/stop music true all the site. Not easy this one.

Kind regards
Cerciello Giuseppe

mlseim
12-14-2005, 11:47 PM
All I can see is a white screen that
says: "Error Plagin"

Whatever that means .... :confused:

See screenshot attached.

My Browser: IE 6.0.2 (Windows 98)

gcpmusic
12-15-2005, 12:49 AM
Sorry mlseim, I don't know what happed I didn't test on windows 98. Runs well on XP and Macs.

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-15-2005, 01:14 AM
I'm guessing it has to do with the flash plugin, the latest flash plugin made for 98 I think was like flash 5 or 6, possible lower. Perhaps create two sites? A non flash one and a flash one.

gcpmusic
12-15-2005, 01:53 AM
Did you tryed again? it should notify you even if you don't have the plugin at all.

Please let me know.

Thanx
Cerciello Giuseppe

gcpmusic
12-15-2005, 12:57 PM
I reckon this guy should get an award lol. Seriously, I cant remember anyone taking criticism so well, which is a great thing. I agree with everyone elses comments, but look forward to seeing the next incarnation of your site.

Thanks for this comment, really nice of you. When I sumbited my site I was looking farward specially to the negative comments as this can help me out to see the site from other angles, others can see things that I could miss been too mutch involved in all the process.

Your comments are been so valuable and constuctive. Thanks allot to all. I Already apported some modification, no splash screen anymore. I personally never liked the idea either but disperatelly I wanted to solve the back browser arrows issue. Now working on the user music preference, if stopped one will not play anymore unless the user play it again. Not easy this one.

" look forward to seeing the next incarnation of your site " I hope you are not suggesting me to wipe everything up and start all over :-)

Cerciello Giuseppe

Pennimus
12-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Now working on the user music preference, if stopped one will not play anymore unless the user play it again

Surely, this is the point in being able to stop the music, that it won't come back on again unless I choose?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum