View Full Version : What app - 300 Mb txt file?

Neil Hillman
12-10-2005, 06:14 PM
I bought a 68,000+ Articles database off this guy, but it came as a 300 Mb text files, which is too large to upload to my databse, and too big to open in any text editor to split into managable chunks.

It has already crashed Notepad and Wordpad...

Does anyone know what app would be robust enough to let me open this and copy/paste chunks into smaller txt files?
Thanks,

Neil

drhowarddrfine
12-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Yes, notepad and wordpad won't handle that. I assume you don't have MS Word/Office so use OpenOffice from openoffice.org. Great open source free app.

Now, I haven't yet found whether Office or OpenOffice can handle a 300Mb file but I assume they can.

hyperbole
12-10-2005, 07:00 PM
vi or vim will easily handle a that size.

AaronW
12-10-2005, 08:37 PM
As would UltraEdit, I believe. www.ultraedit.com

He sent a database as .txt files? Or are they .sql files? If so, you should be able to feed them to your database server directly and have it build the database for you. You're still going to end up with a large database though, as tens of thousands of full articles aren't going to be small :P

Neil Hillman
12-14-2005, 11:45 AM
I assume you don't have MS Word/Office so use OpenOffice from openoffice.org. Great open source free app.

Yes, I do have the Office suite, I hadn't thought of that, it opened fine in Word, and I was able to split it into several smaller files for importing. Thanks!

However, now it seems I have an even bigger problem...

Half the single-quotes in the database are un-escaped, meaning that when I try to import the .sql file, phpMyAdmin thinks that the SQL INSERT statements end prematurely, and throws up errors! Is there any way to escape the quotes within the columns, whilst leaving the necessary quotes that delimited the columns themselves?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum