View Full Version : Win2000 AS server

10-04-2002, 07:55 PM
Win 2000 AS installed with 384mg RAM 900mhz cpu. System has slowed to a crawl and the mouse pointer is behaving very badly( all over the screen without and input). 5 other 'puters on the network.
I suspect not enough RAM. Can anybody confirm that or suggest other problems.:confused:

10-04-2002, 10:49 PM
The ram could be it.... what about available disk space?

10-04-2002, 10:59 PM
Thanks for your reply. There is I am sure enough disk space. The root is partitioned to 4gb with the next patitioned to 10gb.

I will try an extra 128mg of ram and see if that sorts out the problem.

Thanks again for your response.:)

Roy Sinclair
10-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Use the Task Manager (Ctl-Shift-Esc) and look on the "Performance" page. Compare the "Total" value under "Physical Memory" to the "Limit" and "Peak" values under "Commit Charge". If the "Limit" and "Peak" values are much higher then it's likely memory is the problem.

I've seen hard to control mice though when the mouse driver was defective.

You can also use the "Processes" tab in Task Manager to see which processes are hogging the CPU if it's a CPU usage problem.

10-05-2002, 04:07 AM
Also unless you are doing any sort of clustering or running a machine with 4 or more processors. You would probably be just fine with Windows 2k Reg. Server. Regular server isn't as big of a resource hog as AS. Just FYI.