View Full Version : opacity filter mac/pc in IE

martin_narg
10-04-2002, 09:44 AM
does anyone know of any issues with applying filters to divs for ie4+ for macs - I'm having trouble dynamically changing the opacity of divs.

If anyone knows of a good resource for compatibility issues with IE for macs and pc's, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance

m_n

MCookie
10-04-2002, 10:12 AM
IE's opacity filters don't work in any version of IE on a Mac.

Bosko
10-04-2002, 03:07 PM
Since the Mac version of IE tries to follow W3c specs it obviously won't support those propriatary filters.Theres a CSS3 property called opacity which can change the opacity of elements,but Mozilla is the only browser that supports it (although its called -moz-opacity,since CSS3 is still a working draft).

brothercake
10-04-2002, 05:46 PM
Filters are like Select elements, in the respect that they come from Windows, not from IE. What you said about standards support in mac/ie is post-rationale - it isn't really the reason.

FYI - Mozilla does not support the CSS3 opacity property any more than IE does; it just that moz's "nearest thing" doesn't use the syntax which was reserved for the correct property, whereas IE does. In a sense, Mozilla's implementation is more standards friendly, but IE's is more intuitive to use.

realisis
10-04-2002, 06:25 PM
"they come from Windows, not from IE."

I believe brothercake is right. I think filters are rendered using Direct Draw, which is a Windows platform "thingy".

realisis
10-04-2002, 06:33 PM
PS: martin, for IE/MAC specs, you probably can't do better than Microsoft's own website. The entire DOM is fully documented, and every IE extension is properly identified as to which version of IE supports it, and whether it's applicable to WIN only or to MAC (see bottom of each entry).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/dhtml_reference_entry.asp

jkd
10-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by brothercake
FYI - Mozilla does not support the CSS3 opacity property any more than IE does; it just that moz's "nearest thing" doesn't use the syntax which was reserved for the correct property, whereas IE does. In a sense, Mozilla's implementation is more standards friendly, but IE's is more intuitive to use.

On the contrary, many CSS3 properties Mozilla supports are entirely correct, and will transition unchanged from -moz-propname to propname when the appropriate CSS3 spec becomes Candidate Recommendation.

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#transparency
I am unaware if Mozilla supports the priority index in this case though.

And how is:

filter: Alpha(opacity=50);
more intuitive than:
opacity: 0.5;
?

brothercake
10-05-2002, 05:29 AM
because the syntax is extensible - it allows for more than one opacity channel to be added in the future. And also because values out of 100% make more sense to me than floating-point values out of 1.

My point was merely that neither browser supports exact CSS3 syntax specifically for CSS3 filter properties; they both have a twist on it.

martin_narg
10-05-2002, 11:29 AM
many thanks for the feedback guys, I will go through the microsoft DOM documentation for IE for MAC and PC and admire(?) the differences. I do actually declare both filter:alpha(opacity=n) and -moz-opacity:n in an attempt to cover cross-browser issues. It seemed strange to me at the time that what was essentially a relatively simple script shouldn;t work on all platforoms!

Anyway, a bit of light reading material to print out and read in bed again I see, the missus will be pleased ;)

Thanks again for your help all.

m_n

jkd
10-05-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by brothercake
because the syntax is extensible - it allows for more than one opacity channel to be added in the future. And also because values out of 100% make more sense to me than floating-point values out of 1.

Look at the rgba() and hsla() color values if you are worried about alpha channels.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum