View Full Version : need some help, a lot of it

select sires
10-04-2002, 08:47 AM
so i've been trying to get this (http://foralltimeva.com/fed.html) right, but it's not working for me.
If you can tell me what is wrong with my coding, I will be extremely grateful, I can't imagine it's hard to pick out, I'm just kind of new and not so good.
Also, how do I make it so that the table starts at the extreme top left corner of my screen, it's like the whole table has a border. I tried adding a border=0 tag, but no luck.

thanks again for any help.

10-04-2002, 09:09 AM
Looks like you try to create frames inside a table to me.
as far as i know this will not work at all, you have to create a framepage (a seperate page with the frame code in it) that loads the different htmls you want to be part of your page.
that means you put evrything you want to apear on your page into seperate htmls (that means the picture on top of your page to) and load it into the framepage.

i hope my writing wasnt to confusing to you!

10-04-2002, 09:31 AM
the start position is set in the body tag, it works like this:

<body leftmargin="10" topmargin="20">

just change the values to what you want.

10-04-2002, 10:51 AM
A HTML page can either have body element with code in it, or a frameset element with frame elements, or more frameset elements, and perhaps a noframe element in it. NOT BOTH.
Your page contains styles for an absent body element, and intermixes framesets with table code; this will never work! :eek:
It shouldn't even show up in a browser, really.

Decide on what you want:

Work with framesets? Make a proper frameset page and content pages to show in the frames.

Don't work with frames? Get rid of all the frameset code, and add a proper body element.

Confused? :confused: Do reply, and we'll try and help you out!

select sires
10-04-2002, 04:58 PM
sooo confused, but thank you for your help so far.
I'm going to try and do something, because mixing tables/frames was definitely my worst idea, and then i'll be back reaaaaaaaallllllyyyyyyy soon.;)

10-04-2002, 05:46 PM
hmmmmm lets see:

<body marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0">

gotta excuse my HTML its a little vauge lol :S.

but you can try this one. its CSS and just stick it into the middle of your <HEAD> </HEAD> tags:

<style type="text/css">
body { margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; margin }

so wut happens is when you write your body tag, the margins will all be 0 and you wont need that html i wrote at the very top.

10-04-2002, 05:53 PM
select, i also just noticed. you put your "Frames" inside the rest of your page(s)... this is not how your supposed to doit.

when you see a page with frames, with 2 parts

| page1 |
| |
| page2 |

if that turns out bad thats supposed to be a shi**y outline of a frame with 2 pages inside. anyways ytou see 3 actaul pages being displayed

1) PAGE1
2) PAGE2

The frames page is a page in itself and is used to create the look of the page... so what you gotta do is remove all the <frame> <frameset> <noframes> tags from your current page, create a "new" html document and then use that as the basis of your frames if you want them......

then you'd need to create a 3rd page cus well..... you want frames...
just a little note. Tables are much better to use. somewhat more complex, but alot more verstile and frames are kinda getting old (in my opinion [not saying it for everyone])

Hope some of that information helps

select sires
10-04-2002, 07:06 PM

Thanks so much, I'm still not sure I understand, but it looks like that's how I should be doing it.

so I make one page that includes my basic frameset.
Then another page for each frame?

I have separate pages for each frame, so does that mean that if I make a separate frameset page it should work?

..does that mean my tables won't be necessary? I used tables because I was always under the impression they conform to dif. resolutions, screen sizes, etc better than frames, which have a set size.

thanks again.

10-05-2002, 03:27 AM
Frames will only tell your browser where to load the pages you want displayed.

for instance.

<frameset rows="20,40,40">
<frame src="page1">
<frame src="page2">
<frame src="page3">

would turn out

(frame = a page remember)
|---page 1--------|
|---page 2--------|
|---page 3--------|

the equal sign would = the frame border. so you can distingise.

so you got 4 pages total if you remember the frame page itself is one. it just holds the information for where the pages it loads should be displayed.

does that make sense?

frames are used for loading multiple pages if you got 1 page that displays everything you want to on the browser, then dont worry about using frames.

the best reason to use frames i see is for navigation... it makes it so you got 1 page for the links to various other parts of your website.

take for instance: http://accwd.ath.cx/frames_test/
this site i just created for my work @ skool it should give you a good example of what frames are for. the 2 links on the left are in there own "frame" the top piece is in a frame of its own. aswell the main content with the splattery background is in its own frame aswell

when you click the HOME or ABOUT link the only page that changes is the MAIN one, so thats a good example of how frames work.

hope that helps more.

select sires
10-05-2002, 07:29 PM
ok, i'm back again.

Here's the new (http://www.foralltimeva.com/fed.html) attempt. Obviously I screwed up somewhere big, hopefully you can help again :rolleyes:
thanks again..

10-05-2002, 09:08 PM
Hi select!

Actually im not quite sure whats wrong with your page - it seems to load the pages to the proper places. Looking all right to me now. Have i been to late and your problem is allready solved ?
If not maybe if you gave me a hint to what you want the Page to look like i could help out.

best wishes August

10-05-2002, 09:29 PM

select sires
10-05-2002, 11:35 PM
thanks for the webmonkey link, its really helpful, but I'm still not sure what I'm doing wrong.
I guess right now it is that if I adjust my window the frames move all over the place, so anyone can make the page look like hell if it's different from how i intended it. I usually do a 'new window' main page because I can control everything through that, but I want everything on this page to be sort of self-sufficient, and only need one page..If i add a 'no resize' into the code, will that fix the problem, or just keep the frames the correct size, but have them still get moved around everytime the window is adjusted.

confused, SS.

select sires
10-06-2002, 12:40 AM
or is there a way to use the 'no resize' function, and align the whole frameset to the top left so that it doesn't move?

10-06-2002, 11:19 AM
as far as i know, noresize will just keep the frames fixed as long the user doesn't adjust the window size. noresize makes users unable to resize the frames themselves (with that little double arrow cursor), but i'm sure it can't stop the frames from getting messed up when the whole window is resized.

or is there a way to use the 'no resize' function, and align the whole frameset to the top left so that it doesn't move?
from what i know, if u have a frameset, it will always start from the top left, (unless u keep margins..?). the only kind of frames that can be placed away from the corner and wherever u want are iframes. i've done a little on frames and they always start from the top left. u can see an example of frames i did once (the screen capture's attached) :

<frameset cols="17%,83%" border="0" border-color="black" style="border-color:black">
<frame src="navbar.htm" noscroll scrolling="no" style="position:absolute; border:0px solid">

<frameset scrolling="no" noscroll rows="22%,78%">
<frame src="forumhead.htm">
<frame name="forumframe" src="signincontent.htm">

<frame src="signincontent.htm">

i suppose a way around it would be to have a noresizable window with noresizable frames in it.

Mr J
10-06-2002, 07:13 PM
select sires.

If you require more info on frames.

Just a thought

select sires
10-06-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by ASAAKI

i suppose a way around it would be to have a noresizable window with noresizable frames in it.

That's the only thing I'm trying to avoid, I've made pages with a noresizable window, just to avoid the problem i'm having here..so this time around i thought i would confront it, but i'm still having difficulty.

So i guess, when pages use frames, do they just get destroyed when the window is resized, or do more competent page designers have some way of avoiding it?

select sires
10-06-2002, 08:04 PM
Thanks Mr J, this is actually simple enough that even i get it :thumbsup:
So, is the way I should be going about it be to use the perecents?

select sires
10-06-2002, 09:58 PM

I think i have a new understanding of this..
I can't use the percents because I use background images in all my frames, BUT..

The only frames that actually use the background images are the top bottom and far right, SO

If I align those to the top, bottom, and right, and make all the interior frames percents using no background image, just the proper color, it should work?

Please let me know if i cracked the code ;) before I try this and frustrate myself to death..:confused:

Mr J
10-06-2002, 11:52 PM
If you have a fixed size for every frame then you are going to have problems when resizing occurs.

You need a free frame to take into account adjustment of the frameset.

Using the asterisk in place of a set size allows a frame to resize and keeps your fixed frames unaffected. (Mostly :))

I have modified your frameset code. See if this helps as I am still not sure if I understand what you are trying to cure.

<FRAMESET border=0 frameSpacing=0 rows="72, *, 156" frameBorder=0>
<FRAMESET border=0 cols="575,*">
<FRAME name=title marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="title.htm" scrolling=no>
<FRAME name=top marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="top.htm" scrolling=no>
<FRAMESET border=0 cols="*, 433, 447">
<FRAME name=left marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="left.htm" scrolling=no>
<FRAME name=center marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="center.htm">
<FRAME name=right marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="right.htm" scrolling=no>
<FRAME name=bottom marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="bottom.htm" scrolling=no>

select sires
10-07-2002, 12:57 AM
The asterisk definitely fixes my problem, thanks.

Now my only question is, since I have all that jibberish on the right side of the screen, it only works if the frames line up exactly as i wanted them. Is that something that I need to fix in my design, like, I suppose it would work if all the jibberish was on the left side since that is always aligned correctly?

10-07-2002, 11:46 AM
Ehh? Jibberish? Can you supply a link to your most recent attempt, because i'm lost as to how far you are right now. By the way: the original link shows a frameset page that still has a style sheet for the body element; get rid of it, it's useless.

Mr J
10-07-2002, 03:57 PM
I think that is the way to go now, see if changing your design cures it.

Lets see an updated url so we all can see how it looks

Arn't asterisks marvelous things. :D

select sires
10-07-2002, 08:05 PM

it's pretty inefficient, codewise, but it works right now.
Let me know what you think (http://www.foralltimeva.com/fed.html)

Mr J
10-07-2002, 08:58 PM
Hmmm .................

Are you giving the correct url?

It looks exactly the same as before!

select sires
10-07-2002, 10:49 PM
sure it's not different?
everythings working now, so thank you!!!:thumbsup:

one question:
for links, my target is the center frame. but for some links which have multiple sub-links, i send it to the left frame, for them to choose.

ex. One of the links is 'lyrics.' So they click lyrics, it sends the title of each song to the left frame, and they click the song title and it sends the lyrics to the center frame.

My problem is, after they've clicked lyrics, and the look for 'shows,' which shows up in the center frame, the left frame still has the song titles. Is there a way to refresh (i'm not sure if thats the word i'm looking for, but the first that comes to mind) the left frame once a new link is clicked?

Mr J
10-08-2002, 12:03 AM
Use the onclick event in the link to reload left.htm in the left frame

<a href="lyrics.htm" target="center" onClick="parent.left.location.href='left.htm'">Lyrics</a>

select sires
10-08-2002, 01:32 AM
amazing, you are my hero.