View Full Version : Hosting Your Own Databases?

mark87
11-23-2005, 05:51 PM
How?

I'd kind of like to experiment with stuff like Mambo etc but I don't really want to upgrade hosting packages just for testing purposes. My current package only offers me one database.

Can you have your own databases in Apache for instance?

davehaz
11-24-2005, 12:08 AM
I run Mysql, use it for many different things. works great.

JamieR
11-24-2005, 12:33 AM
What use your own PC at home as a database server to relay DB information to your own website or do you want to use PHP, mysql etc locally? You could do that with a WAMP installation fairly easily. You'd need a static IP though if you wanted to use your PC as a DB server.

Noodles24
11-25-2005, 02:56 PM
You'll need to have a database hosted where your website is, so contact your ISP/hosting company to see if they offer this service, otherwise look at moving to someone who does.

Setting up a db server on your home pc and relaying the data would be a horrible idea, it may work, but the time for the data to get between your pc and your website would be slow compared to having it hosted with your website.

mark87
11-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Actually you don't have to have the database where the hosting is - well, I'm using the one database from a seperate hosting package to provide for another site! You just need to specify the location of the database.

The reason I asked though was because I want to try out a few things which require databases - just so I learn enough about them so that if I ever needed to use them in a real situation I could happily cope. eg. Mambo, vBulletin etc.

Would WAMP run offline so to speak so I could just 'practice' with some of the software as mentioned above? I didn't have a chance to read much about it.

mark87
11-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Mambo Stand Alone Server (MSAS) seems to do what I want, installed it now - includes Mambo, Apache, MySQL, PhpMyAdmin. Thanks for the help - now to learn all about it! :p

GO ILLINI
12-01-2005, 03:43 AM
I have something like that...
Xampp
It has apache, mysql, php, phpmyadmin, filezilla ftp server, and mercury mail server

rmedek
12-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Are you on a PC? I use a Mac w/ OS X; by default it has PHP and Apache installed. So I installed MySql, and experiment with all the crazy CMSes and such I want to by using local files (i.e., mydomain.local instead of mydomain.com).

It's been great so far…I can give you some pointers if you're on a Mac, otherwise I'm useless (:D) but I'm sure there's some documentation to do this on a PC, if you're willing to go the local route.

mark87
12-01-2005, 10:20 AM
Naw sorry I'm on a PC.

MSAS does what I want anyway - well, in regards for me learning Mambo and phpMyAdmin.

Yup I've found quite a few similar programs which install lots of server programs at once - makes it much easier to get going I guess. :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum