...

View Full Version : Monitor No Signal



ubik
11-13-2005, 01:08 AM
Hello, I have a question thats been bugging me for some time now..

I recently had some problems with one of my systems i first thought it was the power supply so i got my system #2 and removed its power supply and tested system #1's power supply on it and it worked fine, i swicthed their processors as well all went well. so when I put everything back in its original place system #2 which was perfectly fine now on boot up says "No Signal" on the monitor when i turn the system on... i tested the video card on another system and it works fine... so far i know the video card, power supply, processor, ram are all good... i've taken out all other pci cards to make sure nothing is conflicting. I always grab a hold of the system case to equalize the static electricity before touching anything inside but still... is it possible something happened to the motherboard during all this and now its causing a "No signal" on the monitor? the screws on the board are like star shape so im sure its grounded correctly it would be very difficult to loosen them up. any ideas?

any input appreciated greatly, thanks.

hyperbole
11-14-2005, 04:25 PM
It sounds as if the video cable is loose or you may have bent one of the pins in the plug of the video cable.



.

ubik
11-14-2005, 10:06 PM
the monitor works.. im using it now to post this message. Im just wondering that if its possible that i zapped something on my motherboard thats causing this?

JamieR
11-14-2005, 10:26 PM
Have you reset the BIOS on the affected motherboard? I was thinking it could be a problem with your AGP slot on your 'board or a BIOS issue.

ubik
11-15-2005, 12:46 AM
I have not updated or flashed the BIOS... i did however attempt to reset the CMOS from the jumper on the board & by removing the CMOS battery and placing it back.... The original video card was a PCI video card, i have since then tried other PCI slots other PCI cards and 2 different AGP cards.. i have even tried the onboard video with aboslutely no other pci or agp cards installed and still no signal... ??? a phenomenon? LOL. I was handling the power supply before i ever touched the board so maybe... some electricity rubbed off onto me and maybe i damaged the motherboard with a +35 volt zap? anyone ever have this problem in the past?

oracleguy
11-15-2005, 05:44 AM
You could of fried the motherboard, if you know all the other components are good, there ya go. You make sure everything is seated tightly, like the processor and the memory?

ubik
11-15-2005, 06:33 AM
yeah everything is seated properly but here's the thing I've had this problem before and its always a different problem with the same symptom "No Signal" the first time it happened my Video Card was i think disabled or something from static electricity? cause i took it out and tested it in my brothers system and he got no signal as well so i left it in a box of parts for about a month, tried it out recently and works perfect now... the second time it happened on my other brothers system he was getting no signal .. but he found that a resistor on the board was cracked so he soldered a replacement into place and works perfect now... And now the problem arises again.. this time on a completely different rig, I just want someone to verify that it is possible to "fry" a motherboard.. i know u can damage a processor and video cards and memory, power supplies, etc... but a board? from static electricity?

SteelValor
11-15-2005, 04:44 PM
CHeck the Monitor's Hz. I had the same problem when I set my Hz to 100 and I plugged in an unsupported monitor.

saeed
11-16-2005, 04:19 AM
i remeber the same problem happen with me when i was cleaning dust from computer table. Long story in short check the power cables. I was doing mistake by inserting 220v power cable in 110v :rolleyes: and after a very long waste of hours I realize that it should be in 220v switch instead of 110v check the volts and insert in the correct one.

I think this will help u .

Saeed.

ubik
12-13-2005, 09:10 PM
i remeber the same problem happen with me when i was cleaning dust from computer table. Long story in short check the power cables. I was doing mistake by inserting 220v power cable in 110v :rolleyes: and after a very long waste of hours I realize that it should be in 220v switch instead of 110v check the volts and insert in the correct one.

I think this will help u .

Saeed.


on my power supply it says:

AC INPUT 115V/230V ~, 50Hz-60Hz 10A/6A
in the back of the unit the red switch is set on
115

what kind of power cord should i use? and how do i know what voltage the power cord is?

im going to try and remove everything and cleaning them and re-seating them again does anyone recommend anything that i should use to clean the components with? for example the memory, pci cards...?

liorean
12-13-2005, 09:36 PM
You should use whatever your country standard is. I believe the USA uses 115V, and most of the rest of the world use 230V.

And I've fried a monitor by flipping that switch (230V can easily kill 115V components, while 115V seldom hurts 230V components), so be careful with it.

ubik
12-13-2005, 10:11 PM
You should use whatever your country standard is. I believe the USA uses 115V, and most of the rest of the world use 230V.

And I've fried a monitor by flipping that switch (230V can easily kill 115V components, while 115V seldom hurts 230V components), so be careful with it.


cool, thanks for the advice. i had a feeling that something bad would happen if i flipped that switch, so i never really messed with it.

i have another question still in regard to the "no signal" problem. If my processor was "fried" or "dead" what kind of response would i get from my pc on boot up. would it even boot-up? or would i get this same "no signal"?

the more time that passes by im beginning to accept that my motherboard is no good anymore, i have another one but im waiting for a my new anti-static wrist strap to arrive before i begin to re-construct the system.

any input?



EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum