View Full Version : reformatting a computer with windows 98

MoLLyT
11-12-2005, 10:45 PM
i just reformatted a computer that has windows 98, i never done windows 98 but i have done windows xp many times. when the computer restarted it had a message that said Invalin system disk replace the disk and then press any key. can anybody help me out here and what i should do next. :confused: :) thx!

JamieR
11-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Have you got a Windows 98 Startup disk?

MoLLyT
11-13-2005, 05:19 AM
i have a disc that says install windows 98 and a boot disc(floppy). also i also have a question about xp. i am trying to restore to an earlier date but everytime i try to bring the the system restore, a screen pops up but there is nothing there, just blank. i have even tried using the prompt but it will not work. what would you recommend.

JamieR
11-13-2005, 07:07 PM
98: Have you tried booting from the Windows 98 startup floppy?

XP: Is System restore enabled? If it's disabled then you won't be able to do anything with it.

MoLLyT
11-13-2005, 08:09 PM
98: not yet, i was not sure what the message meant but i will try that.

xp: yes, i checked and it is enabled.

sweenster
11-18-2005, 03:53 PM
....had a message that said Invalid system disk replace the disk and then press any key....

call me crazy if you will but nine times out of ten its the simple things that cause the big problems.

have you checked there is no floppy disk in the drive?

ubik
11-18-2005, 08:23 PM
i just reformatted a computer that has windows 98, i never done windows 98 but i have done windows xp many times. when the computer restarted it had a message that said Invalin system disk replace the disk and then press any key. can anybody help me out here and what i should do next. :confused: :) thx!

you will get that message if the harddrive or partition is empty so make sure after you formated that you installed something into it. and you will also get that message when the partition in which you are trying to boot into is not SET ACTIVE. boot from a windows98 boot up disk and type in FDISK choose 2 then choose the partition that has windows98 to set it active... hope this helps

i format my partitions so often that i configured my main one to only use up 2.5 GB so it does it very quickly and now I prefer to run a format and norton ghost than to scan my system of spyware, viruses, windoctor, defragment, etc.. not to mention all the spyware that your detectors dont detect.. when ever its running a little too slow.

JamieR
11-18-2005, 09:05 PM
i format my partitions so often that i configured my main one to only use up 2.5 GB so it does it very quickly and now I prefer to run a format and norton ghost than to scan my system of spyware, viruses, windoctor, defragment, etc.

So you just reformat your boot partition from a ghost image? Don't you replace it every now and again w/ a newer installation with the latest updates?

ubik
11-18-2005, 09:22 PM
no i run windows98SE with outpost firewall, it has some nice features.. i never liked XP cause it was hogging up my RAM on my lacking system and plus it always broke through my firewall no matter what to access out to microsoft about somehting?? I have one designated computer that i only use for the internet its a 600Mhz 192 sdram 15GB - 2.5GB boot partition and a 12.5GB "ARCHIVE" for downloads and the backup ofcourse, has a burner and before i ever made my ghost image i ran registry mechanic, win doctor, norton disk defragment, configured the MSCONFIG startup.. so every time i reformat it lol it runs like a champ.

oh and to answer it completely.. i never let windows access out for updates. dont need em.

I would never let my media system ever come close to the internet.

SteelValor
11-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Threats don't just come from the internet. The very first virus I got was from a zip disk, the second a pcgamer cd.

JamieR
11-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Well all my systems here are fully updated with the latest updates, service packs etc. I'm running PCs ranging with operating systems ranging from Windows 2000, XP to Server 03 Enterprise and Ubuntu, I've got a hardware firewall as well as a software firewall on every machine, I'm extremley cautious in what I download. I also have every single PC here running up to date AV software and adware/spyware detection clients....I've got no problems.

If you take the proper security methods and use them properly, 9/10 times you won't have any problems.

oracleguy
11-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Okay, lets not drift off topic here.

MollyT,

So you reformatted the drive and did you run the setup to re-install Windows? Or is that the part you are stuck on, getting the setup program to start.

MoLLyT
11-28-2005, 08:06 PM
yes, that maybe it, trying to get the setup program to start. to tell u the truth i really have no idea what to do right now

JamieR
11-28-2005, 08:27 PM
I believe with Windows 98 you have to insert the CD then use a windows '98 boot floppy to start the installation.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum