View Full Version : Putting quick-loading audio onto web pages.

11-07-2005, 08:31 PM

Hey guys, I have an mp3 file on my computer, but since its about 4 minutes long and plays at 128kbps, it takes a while to D/L from the site I have it autoplaying on (an msn space, via a "powertoy" tool designed for HTML failures).

My concern is speed-over-quality. I want this track to start playing within the first 5 or 10 seconds of the page being opened.

Is there any freeware I can get hold of that reduces the bit rate down to, say, 24kb/s?

Furthermore, is there any simple audio-editing freeware I can get hold of that allows me to cut the track? I only want a one minute sample of it playing - and it would be nice if I could get it to fade out at the end.

And finally, which would you recommend as the best free (I'm pretty cheap, you can probably tell) .mp3 hosting site (speed-wise)?

Many thanks :)

PS: My IE opens up audio files from websites in Windows Media Player, seperate from the web page itself. It also opens up a download-manager window. Are there ways I can change the settings to prevent this happening? It's very annoying. :o

11-08-2005, 12:25 AM
You should use <bgsound> or <embed> tags. Also, don't use MP3 files. They might take a while to download over 56k modems. Try to stick to .midi files.

11-08-2005, 06:25 PM
:thumbsup: .midi. okay, thanks!

11-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Oh, but what can I do to the file to make it smaller?

Simply changing the extension to .midi doesn't reduce the size of the file.

Sorry to ask this - you're dealing with a very amateurish PC user. :o

11-08-2005, 08:38 PM

I use Sound Forge 7 to edit all my sounds, really easy to use fade in fade out functions. My software was down loaded from Bitlord. Link to download Sound Forge.

You can use Macromedia flash to play tunes on your websites. Flash compresses the files for quick loading.

11-10-2005, 07:18 PM
That's awesome :D