View Full Version : mass install on 200 computers

Lyconpire
11-03-2005, 12:34 PM
can anyone tell me a free program that will let me do a mass install on around 200 computers i need to unistall a old version of a program and install a new version any ideas thanks.

it has to be freeware i have found some programs on google but non are free so far.

JamieR
11-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Erm I don't think any are around....atleast I haven't found any. What we do at school if we need to mass update a program on a lot of computers is we have to do it one by one...or if we're doing a huge OS update or something, ghost the contents of the updated disk onto a pile of others...

Lyconpire
11-03-2005, 02:03 PM
yeh they are out there but that cost a lot

well i am doing it by hand but time i have done 5 computers i have 30 missed calls about network issues so i need some thing that will just mass update so i can carry on working in the server room.

JamieR
11-03-2005, 04:21 PM
what are you updating?

Lyconpire
11-03-2005, 04:29 PM
phone manager pro

why?

Tynan
11-03-2005, 04:45 PM
any operation that wants to update 200 machines at once really should have a bit of a budget shouldn't it?

sage45
11-03-2005, 05:00 PM
I believe the reason that weazel asked the question is that sometimes you can do a simple mass upgrade depending upon if the software is client independent... What I mean by this is that if the software is server based and you are updating the host, then you *should* not need to worry about the clients... However, with many of todays applications that is not the case...

So my questions are: What Network Operating System do you use??? Novell, Win2K Active Directory???

Do you have SMS???

-sage-

JamieR
11-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Yeah reason I asked is like with windows updates etc, you can use Windows Server Update Services to update all computers on your domain through active directory.

wabirdman
11-07-2005, 02:26 AM
Another question that should be asked is can you network support 200 simultaneous installations over the network? (if you find a "free" software package that does this)

missing-score
11-07-2005, 02:46 AM
To be honest, I doubt you will find a good freeware package for this... Demand for these kind of programs is going to be lower than most types of programs (as not everywhere has 200 computers), and for example, my old school which has 2-300 computers, wouldn't dream of using free software to update their computers becuase it comes without support.

Couldnt you like hire a couple of people to come in and do it?

Celtboy
11-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Indeed there is!

You can use a central distribution point (read: file server) and the lovely

PsExec (http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsExec.html) utility from Sysinternals.com (http://www.sysinternals.com)

That's about the best way to do it freely, if you don't have the capability of leveraging a better deployment method such as ActiveDirectory Group Policy, Zen (from Novell), PatchLink, or SMS.

You could always try some other remote scripting, but a good batch file and psexec may be just what you need.

-Celt

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum