View Full Version : Problem booting windows

missing-score
11-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey, my brother just installed a mod for a game, and there was some problem... Now, whenever I try to start windows I get a blue screen saying that the computer was shut down for my protection, and:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

any ideas how I can get the PC working again?

_Aerospace_Eng_
11-01-2005, 09:39 PM
Hmm could be just a bad sector but it may be a boot sector virus. What mod was it and for what game was it? What OS are you on (the system in which you are operating - :p sorry little humor there)?

oracleguy
11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Typically that error is a very bad one. You might be able to repair it using the recovery console on the CD.

It seems odd that the game did that, it could be conincidence. You could try booting off a Knoppix CD to ensure that the hard drive is good and the data is still there.

missing-score
11-01-2005, 09:47 PM
I am currently trying booting from the Windows XP disk. I'll get back to you if that doesn't work. Thanks for the quick response guys! :D

JamieR
11-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Sometimes this can be caused by a bad IDE cable or something. Tried putting the disk into another machine and running chkdsk to make sure that the disk itself isn't kaput. A repair might work - might just be that boot.ini is damaged.

missing-score
11-02-2005, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions... Repairing the filesystem though chkdsk worked :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum