View Full Version : Reformating windows 98

td227
10-29-2005, 05:43 AM
:confused: Hello, I thought that I lost some drivers on my cp. So I put in the win98 cd without uninstalling it first. So I put the win98 cd in and installed over the existing. Mistake!! Now i have erased the hard drive and put the boot disc in drive a: and the cd in the disc rom and choose option 1 and now have a C: prompt, but it will not recognize my cd rom drives or something. Everything I put in it says "Bad command or file name". If anyone has had this problem, please comment in you can. I will try anything at this point. I will be very very thankful if I can just get windows to install.
Thank You so much,
td227:o

anarchy3200
10-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Do any other of the floppy start up options work as if they do you can run the setup manually from from there rather than relying on the automated setup from option 1.
If none of the options work have you tried anouther boot disk?

P.S. this would probably get more of a response in the computer/pc discussion forum so you may want to talk nicely to a mod to move it!

oracleguy
10-29-2005, 08:05 PM
It sounds like whatever you are using for a boot disk doesn't have CD-ROM drivers or much else, just boot loader and command interpeter. Is this just some disk you had or did it come with your computer?

tboss132
11-08-2005, 11:10 PM
I'll suggest you create a new startup floppy disk. Get to a PC with Win 98 and click Start > Settings > Control Panel >Add Remove programs > Startup Disk > Create disk. It's best to use a new diskette for this. After that startup your PC with this diskette and you should be OK.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum