View Full Version : SSL webserver

itsonlybarney
10-27-2005, 03:11 AM
i have a developmental test server running on my network at home and it runs perfectly....i have done my own tweaking and gained as much knowledge as i can about a webserver....

my next learning curve is on SSL webservers....i would like to get a SSL server to play with and try out before i move to Apache and OpenSSL and have to compile it myself to get it working (as i dont have the compiler or know how to use one yet)....

any pointers would be appreciated....

oracleguy
10-27-2005, 03:36 AM
What web server software are you using now? Apache?

Al_90
10-27-2005, 03:36 AM
i have the same question, and i have apache installed

itsonlybarney
10-27-2005, 04:16 PM
i'm using apache2 now....

i have read that to use mod_ssl i will need to compile apache and i don't have a compiler to do that....and i'm wondering if there is something else out there to play around with before committing to getting a compiler to create apache with SSL....

oracleguy
10-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Are you using it on Windows or Linux? If you are on Windows, you most likely don't need to compile anything to get it to work, there should be binaries out there for it.

Here is a howto: http://raibledesigns.com/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=ApacheSSL

The document says where you can get precompiled versions of mod_ssl for Win32.

itsonlybarney
10-28-2005, 05:49 AM
i will be running it on win2k....

everywhere i searched said i would have to compile it to run SSL on apache....

i had a quick look at the site u gave me and it looks alright....i'll read into it deeper at home 2night....

thanks again.....

oracleguy
10-28-2005, 06:58 PM
everywhere i searched said i would have to compile it to run SSL on apache....

Were they Windows or Linux Apache tutorials? If they were the latter, it is more than likely you'd have to compile them first but on Linux that isn't uncommon nor hard.

itsonlybarney
10-30-2005, 05:00 AM
i'll have a look and see wat i can work out...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum