View Full Version : Embedding 'live' Excel Spreadsheets

09-30-2002, 06:21 PM

I have embedded an Excel spreadsheet into a web page using the following code:

<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<table width="100%" border="0" height="100%">
<div align="center">
<ilayer src="steve.xls" width=100% height=100% id=field name="adverts" visibility="hide"></ilayer>

<iframe src="steve.xls" frameborder=0 scrolling=no width=100% height=100% id=field name="adverts"></iframe></div>

Looking locally the spreadsheet is 'live' within the web page (i.e I can enter information into the spreadsheet, scroll..etc).

Is there an easy way to make any changes made to the spreadsheet permanent? Or is there another method of embedding a spreadsheet and making it 'updateable' and 'saveable'?

09-30-2002, 10:36 PM
Maybe VBScript, ASP or PHP could do this. Not sure though.

10-01-2002, 01:00 AM
i don't think it's doable.

10-01-2002, 02:07 AM
The problem is that the *.xls file is downloaded to the client system before Excel is launced thru DDE.
You run into issues of "last save" wins. Basically, if you were set to identify the cached file on the client computer, then upload it back to the server on "Save" you could overwrite the any changes made by someone else while the local copy was being updated. You will also have to have the appropriate write permissions on the source directory for updatinging the file.

Oh the joy of record locking.... :cool:

11-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me with this, I've got this to work, however, I want to embed specific worksheets, not the whole workbook, and better still if possible a cell range. i.e:

File name:

Copy of Rota.xls

Timesheet - Kevin

Cell range

I'm not sure how to string all the info together, for it to display correctly.

Much appreciated :-)

Many thanks,