View Full Version : FTP issue: web-based works, 3rd party does not

10-26-2005, 02:37 AM
I edit several websites via FTP frequently using WS_FTP Pro or a similar program and am able to access all sites EXCEPT one. Using the exact ftp login info I am able to use net2ftp, a web-based FTP client, and it is very fast.
All my sites are hosted by the same company, but just one won't connect. If I wait 5 minutes using windows explorer FTP I can connect, but it is VERY slow.
Now I believe this is a machine issue because I have connected to the server quickly using a different computer with the same LAN connection.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Net2FTP is great for smaller updates, but I do big ones that take forever using Net2FTP. Thanks a lot.

10-26-2005, 05:28 PM
It sounds as if you have the wrong password stored in WS_FTP.

What error message are you getting when you try to connect?

10-26-2005, 06:12 PM
No password is correct. I used the exact one for the web-based FTP.

Error is only a Timeout. I've increased the time and still nothing happens.

10-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Are all of the sites hosted on the same server with the same setup? The only thing I could think of is that they are using a different protocol or something than the others and you don't have your client configured correctly. Also, I wouldn't put too much stock in the Windows Explorer FTP client, in my experience it doesn't work very reliably.

Are you sure you have all the connection details setup correctly?

10-26-2005, 07:13 PM
i dont believe they are all on the same server, but hosted by the same company, who tells me everything is fine one their end.

like i said, i can connect to any other site but this one. do you think reformatting my machine....hoping it is a windows protocol problem would help?

10-26-2005, 08:42 PM
I don't know, that seems like a bit of an extreme step at this point. I assume you can get to the site through your web browser and view it fine?

10-27-2005, 02:26 AM
yes i certainly can. Today, after 30 seconds on a fast LAN, I got through using WS_FTP Pro, but then clicking on a folder to view I got this message:

Error reading response from server.
It appears that the connection is dead. Attempting reconnect...
Connecting to
Connected to in 0.015625 seconds, Waiting for Server Response
Error reading response from server.
Connection closed by remote host.
Host type (1): Automatic Detect
Reconnect failed. The connection is dead.

10-27-2005, 10:49 AM
have you tried deleting the "site" in ws_ftp pro and then setting it back up via using the connection/site manager?

10-27-2005, 03:39 PM
yes 3x and changed the password in the CP as well.

10-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Toggle Passive Mode. That sometimes causes timeouts.

10-27-2005, 07:50 PM
Passive makes no difference.

10-27-2005, 08:20 PM
You tried nuking it and reinstalling WS_FTP?

10-27-2005, 09:13 PM
nope will try.

10-27-2005, 09:26 PM
just did, no luck.

10-28-2005, 12:59 AM
Are you able to connect in another ftp client such as Filezilla?

10-28-2005, 06:49 PM
I used to use WS_FTP Pro and found exactly the same problem. Indeed, on those sites which I could connect to, the speed was v-e-e-e-e-r-r-y s-l-o-o-o-o-w. :(
I re-installed, with no improvement.
I uninstalled and then re-installed, again with no improvement.
I contacted Ipswitch who gave me a time restricted link to download an upgrade and it didn't improve.

The 'tech-monkey', as he refer's to himself, who worked for my isp was able to tell me from looking at the server, that the software was borked and that it was disconnecting when the server timed out.

I got fed up and now don;t use it. I found that filezilla is much better and - its free too.

my 2p

10-28-2005, 08:52 PM
i was not able to either using SmartFTP.

However, now none of clients work for any of my sites. I did not change anything!