View Full Version : site-a-check-please

_com
10-21-2005, 07:38 PM
this site is a CSS, JS, DOM builld site.
[link removed by _com]

opinions about site navigation, look and feel. all are highly appreciated

the language is Dutch, but the emphasis is on the pictures
Yours truly,

the webbuilder of this site.

oracleguy
10-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Intruiging design idea but the only problem I could think of is when the brick wall is shown, there is no way to know which ones are links until you just search around for a roll over. Maybe make something to make them more distinct than the regular bricks.

Lerura
10-21-2005, 08:33 PM
I think that these huge titles on every link is some what annoying

E.g. When a link says "Projects", which is quite selfexplanatory, you dont need a title block popping up saying "See Overview of all projects" an indeed not in that size.

You can use it for links such as your "Home"-link which gives you no clue of the destination by the graphics

_com
10-21-2005, 08:45 PM
Intruiging design idea but the only problem I could think of is when the brick wall is shown, there is no way to know which ones are links until you just search around for a roll over. Maybe make something to make them more distinct than the regular bricks.

It is a conceptualized idea. But it was meant this way, hidden till found nav.
Plus I can see also your point of view.

_com
10-21-2005, 08:51 PM
E.g. When a link says "Projects", which is quite selfexplanatory, you dont need a title block popping up saying "See Overview of all projects" an indeed not in that size.

[...]

mcdougals4all
10-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Forcing visitors to search for navigation is not too user friendly. The lack of content on the home page will not help search engines find and index this site either. Not to mention, the home page doesn't communicate any kind of message or impression.

Visually, the graphic content is presented well enough, but the scale and color-palette of the template gives the whole site a dark, confined feeling. Not necessarily the association you want a visitor to make when considering an architect.

No offense intended, but it appears more energy went into making it a 'cool' site than exploring the best way to convey the message behind the services being offered. I don't mean to hit only on negative points because I think it has some potential, but it's not coming through as well as it could.

I would simplify the navigation, welcome visitors to the site with some descriptive text and reconsider the background color for starters...

_com
10-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Not to mention, the home page doesn't communicate any kind of message or impression. Not to mention, the home page doesn't communicate any kind of message or impression.

[...]

Visually, the graphic content is presented well enough, but the scale and color-palette of the template gives the whole site a dark, confined feeling. Not necessarily the association you want a visitor to make when considering an architect.

Disagree totally.

mcdougals4all
10-21-2005, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I get that bricks are related to building. But is that really what the site is trying to convey, that this architect builds with bricks?

As a potential customer (who I assume is the target audience), I would want to know about quality, experience, credentials, peer-recognition, etc. Again, the home page conveys none of that and offers little enticement to click through to another page.

_com
10-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Forcing visitors to search for navigation is not too user friendly. The lack of content on the home page will not help search engines find and index this site either. Not to mention, the home page doesn't communicate any kind of message or impression.
[...]

_com
10-21-2005, 09:22 PM
As a potential customer (who I assume is the target audience), I would want to know about quality, experience, credentials, peer-recognition, etc. Again, the home page conveys none of that and offers little enticement to click through to another page.

[...]

Yeah, I get that bricks are related to building. But is that really what the site is trying to convey, that this architect builds with bricks?

[...]

WA
10-26-2005, 02:43 AM
Hi:
Please refrain from deleting your own posts along the way. This basically leaves the entire thread in ruins, as no one stumbling upon it will be able to follow the discussion. If you're concerned about your site URL being indexed, try simply posting something like "Mysite.com", instead of the full URL in posts.

I ask that you please refrain from deleting your own posts in the future. Send me a PM if you need more clarification.

Thanks,

_com
10-26-2005, 04:07 AM
Hi:
Please refrain from deleting your own posts along the way. This basically leaves the entire thread in ruins, as no one stumbling upon it will be able to follow the discussion. If you're concerned about your site URL being indexed, try simply posting something like "Mysite.com", instead of the full URL in posts.

I ask that you please refrain from deleting your own posts in the future. Send me a PM if you need more clarification.

Thanks,

This can happen. A non-discussion. Delete if you will. i know you are doing your job.

rmedek
10-26-2005, 05:49 AM
opinions about site navigation, look and feel. all are highly appreciated

I guess you didn't really mean this part, right? :rolleyes:

If you're gonna put up a site for review, you need to deal with the good and the bad, unless you meant to post it in the "praise my site" category.

Criticism is supposed to help, and the above comments by the others were very professional, helpful, and constructive.

_com
10-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Criticism is supposed to help,
It might help.

and the above comments by the others were very professional, helpful, and constructive.

Depends. Everyone sees it his/her way. Professional criticism does not mean that there is a standard solution to every site, and often you get generalised comments but not like do this or do that. More it is
you should do a site like this or that.

Eg a hidden navigation -> I agree that is not user-friendly but what if it is told to do so. And it does give an element of surprise, since people talk about it, they notice it. So not user-friendly is not always the case, it might be for some.

Nobody noticed except one (http://www.codingforums.com/showpost.php?p=368339&postcount=4) that all code is valid, the website works without Js on even.

oracleguy
10-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Nobody noticed except one (http://www.codingforums.com/showpost.php?p=368339&postcount=4) that all code is valid, the website works without Js on even.

That is because, really that is how it should be so that might be why no one really mentioned it.

_com
10-26-2005, 09:42 PM
That is because, really that is how it should be so that might be why no one really mentioned it. Or did not check the code was valid, the CSS, DOM fueled website works in IE5.0 and up WIN, mozilla FF WIN /MAC, Opera 7 WIN /MAC, IE5.0 MAC and up and others etc. Older browsers like IE4, NN4 get a sort of minimum styled or non-styled version. This is important too, cross-browser implementation.

rmedek
10-27-2005, 06:04 AM
I can't see the site, since you removed the link to it.

However. Who cares if a site is valid if I can't find my way around it? If I'm a visitor to your website, do you think I'm going to say, "oh, well, there's mystery meat navigation, I don't know where anything is, I don't know what this site is supposed to do, but... hey! It's valid HTML code!"

_com
10-27-2005, 07:05 AM
However. Who cares if a site is valid if I can't find my way around it? If I'm a visitor to your website, do you think I'm going to say, "oh, well, there's mystery meat navigation, I don't know where anything is, I don't know what this site is supposed to do, but... hey! It's valid HTML code!"

These are two entirely different things, valid HTML and valid CSS and working cross-browser does not mean anything to a end-user only for a portfolio that shows your skills for a future employer of a webdesign firm eg.

So your last comment is slightly out of context since you obviously know your HTML and such.

A brick wall that when hovering one, a bricky comes out of a brick wall is not such a bad idea since the hover area is made especially large so you cannot miss any brick of the nav that is hidden, the whole idea is you discover one and you can click through. Likely you will remember all bricks after finding them once. Even when finding one you can access any sections with textimagelinks even so. Sometimes the logic is the irrationale itself, the conceptualisized idea seems illogical since you have a hidden nav but in this particular case "less is more".

oracleguy
10-27-2005, 08:48 PM
A brick wall that when hovering one, a bricky comes out of a brick wall is not such a bad idea since the hover area is made especially large so you cannot miss any brick of the nav that is hidden, the whole idea is you discover one and you can click through. Likely you will remember all bricks after finding them once. Even when finding one you can access any sections with textimagelinks even so. Sometimes the logic is the irrationale itself, the conceptualisized idea seems illogical since you have a hidden nav but in this particular case "less is more".

I think you are putting too much faith in your end users. While your idea is creative, it severly compromises the usability of your site. People aren't going to want to have to hunt around to find the pages they are looking for on your site.

AaronW
10-28-2005, 02:01 AM
You've got about 5-10 seconds to capture your visitor. If they get bored or lost in that time, you won't even have time to kiss them goodbye ;)

Vague methods of navigation--while fun to design and build--are site-killers. You can argue opinions forever, but the truth is in the numbers.

_com
10-28-2005, 01:37 PM
You've got about 5-10 seconds to capture your visitor. If they get bored or lost in that time, you won't even have time to kiss them goodbye

And in case of these dreadful long (flash) intropages, 0-5 seconds is even a better guess.

_com
10-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Vague methods of navigation--while fun to design and build--are site-killers. You can argue opinions forever, but the truth is in the numbers.

This depends on what the site is

AaronW
10-28-2005, 02:21 PM
But to open its door, do you have to twist a candle holder? ;)

_com
10-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I think you are putting too much faith in your end users. While your idea is creative, it severly compromises the usability of your site. People aren't going to want to have to hunt around to find the pages they are looking for on your site.

You can argue opinions forever, but the truth is in the numbers.

But to open its door, do you have to twist a candle holder?

But ...

rmedek
10-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Will someone please close this thread already?

We're arguing over a site that no one can see, since the link has been removed, not to mention half of the posts. I'm not exactly sure how anyone can offer criticism or compliments on a site that doesn't exist.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum