View Full Version : Would appreciate some critique and advice

Dodge
10-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi all,

http://www.kdok.com/

I just finished a redesign of this site for one of our stations.

Some of the issues I tried to address are:

scalabilty (text resizing - I'm using ems now instead of fixed [pixels])
semantics (better use of...)
separation of style and content
elimination of bulky JS for menus (all suckerfish and lists now)

I think I did a pretty good job of each but, of course, I'm sure there is some room for improvement. :)

I'm not crazy about white text on a dark background but I was over-ruled on that one so I tried to make it as readable as I could.

It all validates as xhtml 1.0 Trans (except the news.php page - grrrr)

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions altho I'm already cringing. :D

Dodge

Lerura
10-18-2005, 12:35 AM
about the white text:

you could try to make the text a little darker in the same hue as the bgcolor
in your case i will suggest "#F5F5FF". Then it will still look white but will have a lesser blured/shivering effect and thus making it more readable

oracleguy
10-18-2005, 03:38 AM
Why are you setting all your ULs and LIs to the class 'topmenu' that isn't needed.

Just define the properties for your ULs based off the nav list.

e.g.

#nav ul
{

... stuff here will automatically get applied to ULs inside the nav element
}

Also changing the text alignment from left to right on hover in the menu is really annoying and makes it harder to use.

Dodge
10-18-2005, 01:02 PM
lerura - thanks! That is such a subtle change but it's very effective - I like it. :)

oracleguy - thank you for the tip on ".topmenu" - I did apparently go overboard on specifying that class when it wasn't necessary at all - I have since change it as you directed - using #nav.

I like the align: right on the hover ... but I know that little things like that can be annoying to some. I've changed it to align: center to cut the movement a bit - I may end of changing it to align to the left in the end. ;)

Thanks
Dodge

Dodge
10-18-2005, 10:34 PM
hmmm... did I mention that I would really appreciate it... comments and advice I mean?

Thanks for the 2 so far for sure - but either the site really, really sucks bad or it's just not worth anyone's time to just get to comments?? If that be the case I need to get back to the old drawing board I guess. :\

Dodge

oracleguy
10-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Just give it a little more time and more people will come by and have a peek.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum