View Full Version : Time to move host?

10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
I've just realised that I've used all my available disk space on my sites account :(

What do you think I should do? Change to another host where I can get more than my current 6gb bandwidth limit, 500mb disk space and 1 mysql database or just stick with Web Mania for the time being and pay 10 + vat per year per extra 100mb disk space? I need about a gig of disk space for a huge amount of photos I'm going to be putting up on my site, hence bandwidth usage levels will increase from the average 3-4GB per month I use at the moment.

Do you think that 10 + vat per year per 100mb extra disk space is expensive? I do...

10-10-2005, 11:33 PM

10-10-2005, 11:46 PM
ah nice...they seem to give a fair deal - I prefer to pay by year not month...far easier ;) - Just got to go and convert all the USD prices into GBP now.

Web Mania's hosting is cheap (20+vat per year) but it's frigging limited - when I first signed up it was fine but over the last year I've been rapidly expanding my site so am using more resources :p
They only let you have one mySQL DB which IMO is stingy.

10-12-2005, 01:41 AM
never pay by the year...for obvious reasons

10-12-2005, 01:48 AM
never pay by the year...for obvious reasons

Dreamhost has a 97 day money back guarntee.

10-12-2005, 02:18 AM
we'll be right back...after a word from our sponser

10-12-2005, 03:06 AM
For the obvious reasons that.......... it is usually much much cheaper?

10-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Many hosts 'show' as the best in the world. Many people fall for their low prices and pay by the year.

Many hosts vanish after getting so many thousand $'s in their bank account. No one hears of 'best in the world cheap host' ever again, or see's the $100 or so they gave to that company for the annual hosting

10-12-2005, 09:38 AM
My current host only gives you the option to pay by the year. They are pretty reliable, with only a small amount of downtime I can think of. The only reason I'm looking to change really is because they charge quite a lot of extra disk space compared to their competitors.

Thank you for the responses so far.

10-12-2005, 12:37 PM

came recomended and have seemed very good to me so far

10-14-2005, 10:37 PM
well i will have used http://vizaweb.com for a year this january. They seem pretty good. they have cheap stuff. I would recomend to NOT use the first "starter plan" because it offers ditily squat. I have pro I think.
lots of mysql, and postgresql databases. good amount of e-mail, ftp, subdomains.
parked domains, and just a ton of easy to install scripts(fantastico or something like that) I have used a ton of thoose and they are great.
It has a great cpanel.

10-15-2005, 12:02 AM
we'll be right back...after a word from our sponser
At least Ranger didn't link to Dreamhost using his referrer id (thereby making it an ad from which he could gain discounted hosting)

I signed up for their Code Monster plan, paid upfornt for two years (that's a few bucks! :eek: ) and decided two days later I didn't want to use their services.
I received a full refund immedietely, no questions asked.

I'd also recommend investigating http://bluehost.com/ , their deals look pretty good.