View Full Version : Learning Flash

09-27-2005, 09:51 PM

I would like to learn how to write Flash applications.

I assume (perhaps naively!) that SWF files are, essentially, constructed in the same way as any other flavours of executable or pseudo-executable file - i.e. there is a language specification and a command-line compiler associated with that specification.

I have had a look on the net and I can't find any straightforward explanations in the style of "Here's the language specification, here's the barebones compiler, now download it and get on with it!".

I don't want any new-fangled fancy visual interfaces with bells, whistles and the like - I use XEmacs on Linux with command-line compilers! Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

09-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Well the most popular program to create Flash (.swf) files in is Macromedia (/Adobe?) Flash. Although that costs a bit, it's features will not be matched by any other program - well, not that I know of anyway!

You can download a free trial from Macromedia's website.

Another alternative which is popular with beginners is Swish. It's far simpler than Macromedia Flash, and you can also download a free trial - it's cheaper too if you wish to purchase it.

09-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Ta! :thumbsup:

Do you know if there are any freeware flash compilers out there?

09-28-2005, 06:45 PM
The programs that allow you do make swf files do all the compiling for you. When I used Macromedia Flash, you just saved your project or file and it was ready to use.

09-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Hi again,

thanks for your advice guys; i've had a look at and a play with the swishzone tool; seems pretty straightforward.

*however*; what I am looking for really is a "barebones" compiler - i.e. something that can just be invoked as a .exe via a system call, or wrapped into a COM object as a .dll (or inculded straight as a Linux .so); so that I can integrate applications that I develop in C/C++ directly with the flash compiler. (e.g. for the direct translation of VMRL or OpenGL geometric primitives into flash objects).

(yes, I am an awkward bugger :D).