View Full Version : Windows Or Linux Hosting?

seek1
09-27-2005, 07:00 AM
Hi All,
We are conducting a survey and we want to find out what Web Masters/Web Developers/Designers prefer to use for their hosting. Do they prefer Windows Hosting or Linux Hosting?

What if the Web pages are designed in HTML and you find a Windows and a Linux Host offering their services for the same price (considering the competition in the hosting industry these days). Which one will you choose?

Please share your views.

Cheers
Dan

Auriga
09-27-2005, 09:51 AM
To be honest i didn't (and couldn't) base it on just that one question.

When i picked my host it was more or less irrelevant as to which OS was used.

For me it was the extras, bandwidth, value for money, uptime, friends recommendations are have to be taken into consideration.

again, you cannot base it on just Windows or Linux. And to be honest, doesn it really make that much difference anyway?

Auriga
09-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Hi All,
What if the Web pages are designed in HTML and you find a Windows and a Linux Host offering their services for the same price (considering the competition in the hosting industry these days). Which one will you choose?

What does having pages designed in HTML have to do with it? - Explain.

Nightfire
09-27-2005, 01:45 PM
I code in php, so linux is my first choice. If I coded in asp, then windows would be my first choice as I've heard nothing but bad things with chillisoft asp on linux.

With you being a host, this should be obvious really?

seek1
09-28-2005, 04:21 AM
Auriga,
Okay, you design a web site using HTML. It's time to host your site. You find many hosts both Linux based and Windows based with the same price. Consider that you do not have any plans of adding any code (ASP/PHP) to your Web site. In this scenario which hosting will you prefer? Windows or Linux?

oracleguy
09-28-2005, 08:41 AM
If there is no server side, there is no difference. I'd probably say Linux because it is usually cheaper since pretty much all the software is FOSS. The only reason for windows would be if you just couldn't stand case sensitive filenames.

JamieR
09-28-2005, 10:52 AM
Well for a main host I say Linux only because I prefer the stability, reliability and features that you can't get in Windows when coding PHP etc. I code a bit of PHP...Linux does me fine. As said above, it's cheaper than Windows because of the licencing usually. Having said that, my dev box at home is running WS2K3 ;)

hyperbole
09-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Since you've posed the problem so that server side programming is not involved, the only questions left are how stable is the server and how much will it cost. Although MircoSoft is improvingthe stability of their software, you will still get a more stable platform with Linux. Also many ISPs charge a sur-charge for hosting on a Windows platform because of the extra effort involved to keep the machines up. For my money it's going to be Linux.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum