View Full Version : Naming IP Addresses, current users online, etc.

isaaclloyd
09-25-2005, 11:33 PM
What I am trying to accomplish is creating a script that allows users to add their "name" to their IP address so when there is for example 5 viewers online the script will show names of those IP address who have supplied names, and just display the IP address of those who havn't. Here is the global script I am currently using to display how many visitors are currently online. I am wondering if there is a way to display what IP ADDRESSES are connected to the server. If someone could help me with getting the list of IP addresses that are currently connected instead of just a number # I can come up with the rest of the script. Thanks for your time. I'll post with any luck I have.

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript" RUNAT="Server">

Sub Application_OnStart
' Set our user count to 0 when we start the server
Application("ActiveUsers") = 0
End Sub

Sub Session_OnStart
' Change Session Timeout to 20 minutes (if you need to)
Session.Timeout = 5
' Set a Session Start Time
' This is only important to assure we start a session
Session("Start") = Now
' Increase the active visitors count when we start the session
Application.Lock
Application("ActiveUsers") = Application("ActiveUsers") + 1
Application.UnLock
End Sub

Sub Session_OnEnd
' Decrease the active visitors count when the session ends.
Application.Lock
Application("ActiveUsers") = Application("ActiveUsers") - 1
Application.UnLock
End Sub

</SCRIPT>

<%= Application("ActiveUsers") %>

isaaclloyd
09-27-2005, 02:07 AM
Perhaps I should break it down a little. Basically I am wondering if it's possible to see what IP addresses are viewing a website, perhaps using the Global.asp script. The script gives me a # of current viewers, why not their IP address. Thanks for your time.

Freon22
09-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Awhile back I wanted to list the names of all the users at my site that had logged in. I had already used a global script very much like your were it would display how many visitors were at my site. So I wrote a script that would add the names of the users to the Application(UserName). I would add a comma at the end of each name so that when I displayed the list I would just replace the commas with a <br> and it worked great. That is until a user left the site, there is or should I say it is very hard to delete just one name and it being the right name out of Application(UserName). So I posted for help here on this board, the response was to use a dictionary. I did a little research on dictionary and found that I really had three choices, dictionary, database, text file. To try to use the global application is not the right way to do this.

What I ended up doing was putting a timestamp field in my database so when someone logged in I would read the database by the timestamp and that would give me the list of current logged in users. I could display this anywhere on the site for anyone to see if I wanted to. But this didnít help me with the visitors that were at my site that had not logged in. Sometimes I can see that there are 15 users online with 5 names displayed for the ones that are logged in. But I have nothing to see for these other 10 users that were there.

What I am planning on doing is when they first load my page, and on Session_OnStart I am going to write their IP to a text file. This way I can display the text file anywhere I want for anyone that I want to see. But I donít think it a good idea to display users IP to anyone. Then on Session_OnEnd I will delete their IP from the text file. What I should end up with is 5 names of logged in users and a list of 10 IP address. I know that after someone logs in I will have to delete their IP out of the text file so that I don't show the IPs of logged in users also.

But by trade I am in air-conditioning I code because its fun and I love it. But with this hot summer we have been having this year I havenít had the time to write the first line code to make this happen.

Sorry I donít have any code for you to see but I am hoping that this will give you some ideas on solving your problem. Global applications are great for something but I really don't think that this is one of them. So your choices are dictionary, database, text file.

isaaclloyd
09-28-2005, 12:00 AM
I appreciate the long responce. I am planning on using textfiles, however I'm not sure how I would go about adding an IP addess to the textfile when a session starts and then removing it when that session ends... Any ideas on that one?

What I am hoping for is a textfiles with 10 IP addresses when there are 10 people viewing the site. What I will then do is replace the IP addresses with the supplied names, or write "No Name" for the IP addresses that don't have a name. I'll use the ASP REPLACE command as well as other script for this.

I think I could get this to work baced on two things:

#1 I need to figure out how to APPEND the viwers IP address to a textfile when THEIR session starts.
#2 I need to figure out how to remove THEIR IP address from that textfile when THEIR session ends, but leave everyone elses.

Thanks for your time and ideas...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum