View Full Version : SOS Newbie needs help!! SOS! Newbie needs Help!

09-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Lets see, here's my code:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Untitled Document</title>

<script type="text/javascript" >

var flag ;
var Digito ;
var Operador

function EscribeDigito(Digito)

var flag = true;
return false;

function valTest()
window.alert("The value of flag is "+ flag);
window.alert("The value of digito is "+ Digito);

//function Operator(Digito,Operador)
//{ if (flag == true)
// {
// window.document.form1.raultext.value=(Digito+Operador);
// }

<form name="form1" method="post" action="">
<input type="text" name="raultext">
<input name="button1" type="submit" id="button1" value="1" onClick="EscribeDigito(1); return false;" >

<input name="valueTest" type="submit" id="valueTest" value="valueTest" onClick="valTest();">

<input name="multiply" type="submit" id="multiply" value="*" onClick=" Operator(Digito,*); return false;">
<input name="button2" type="submit" id="button2" value="2" onClick="EscribeDigito(2); return false;" >
<input name="button3" type="submit" id="button3" value="3" onClick="EscribeDigito(3); return false;" >

The reason for the valTest function is that after running the Escribedigito function,by running the Onclick function, I am testing whether the flag and Digito values change.

I'd like to make them change to flag = true and Digito = (To whatever button you onclick).

I know here's a Global and Local variable issue, but is there a way I could modify the value of a global variable from a function??

(I hope you understand what I mean as I suppose it's not difficult to tell that, yes I am a Newbie!)

09-25-2005, 12:13 PM
I have had a quick look at your code and this may sort some of the problems or get you on the way to a solution.

var Operador
<input name="multiply" type="submit" id="multiply" value="*" onClick=" Operator(Digito,*); return false;">

I think the "Operator" should be "Operador"

Inside the function EscribeDigito you declare a local var flag. I guess you want this to be the global var flag, so you need to leave out the "var".

In general, you should avoid global variables, they lead to confusion.

09-25-2005, 12:24 PM
I suggest reading this. (http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=2090)