...

View Full Version : Fist web page. Took me months….



amaher1
09-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Okay, I do the sales and marketing for this company. I am trying to do us a new a webpage. You can see my latest template here.
http://www.motion-labs.com/tindex.html

I don’t really like the background color on the chart type, but I can’t find anything else that is “web safe” that I like. Any ideas?

Long term we may put a graphic backing in the header, but not right now

The project aims were:
NS4 compatible (we have an archaic and international user base)
Prints as shown
Easy to scale window size
Easy to scale text size
Google friendly for good listings
Easy to update

The page will have a lot of technical content so needs to be pretty understandable in layout.

Also, who can/can’t see the page background?

I have not tested this on mac, but did a few runs on IE, NS, Opera and firefox

If you see any big problems with anything please let me know. Any suggestions would be great, I hope to start adding in real content next week.

Thanks!
Amanda

amaher1
09-23-2005, 06:19 PM
First, not fist

mark87
09-23-2005, 06:33 PM
I was expecting to see a table layout on the first, but I didn't. Which led me to conclude, the design of the page was not up to par with the code!

I think overall it's too cluttered. The http://motion-labs.com/index.html page (which IS a table layout - and needs to be transfered to CSS) for instance could do with a border around the main text, and some hover styles on the menu.

I think the default blue underlined links should be changed as well.

I also think that the logo is bad - the red clashes with the blue, it just seems too tacky. Same with the title images on the software page, the shadow and font just doesn't seem 'professional'.

Add some colour in there too, too much white for my liking. :)

amaher1
09-23-2005, 06:58 PM
The http://motion-labs.com/index.html is the old page we are moving away from.

The http://motion-labs.com/tindex.html

is the new one. None of the other pages have been converted.

I can't change the logo right now its pretty fixed within the company but maybe another project for another day.

amaher1
09-23-2005, 07:02 PM
You said "I was expecting to see a table layout on the first, but I didn't. Which led me to conclude, the design of the page was not up to par with the code!"

Are you saying I use tables to layout the page? I thought that was a big no.
any help here?

mark87
09-23-2005, 07:10 PM
I meant on the first page you are using a tableless layout (= good), but then I found the other pages were using table layouts (= bad). Now I've realised I was looking at the old pages, so excuse me for that! - The new logo is better.

As for the new page, could still do with some more colour I think, and the background image makes it look dirty. Still seems a bit too cluttered - perhaps you should try adding some real content into it so we can see better what it would look like?

amaher1
09-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks for that. You had me really worried there at first.

I hope to get some content up in the next 1-2 weeks and will repost the question for a final check on things. Just hoping to catch any huge bugs before I make all the new pages.

A good chunk of things such as all the links for the nav bars and the breadcrumb coad, and so on are listed in the page content. So any changes to these would have to be done on each page (I could not find any better way of doing that.. but welcome to ideas) - this is why i wanted some feedback before making it all up.

thanks!
amanda

little_toaster
09-24-2005, 12:59 PM
From a design perspective the old page looks better than the new;

The data is clearer, the page looks cleaner and less cluttered.

The new design's graphics clash;

The blue is distorting, especially next to the red!, and the yellow doesnt fit in.

Suggestions;

Kill the blue, or kill the red!, this will instantly improove site!, i would opt for a better color scheme altogether! maybe a blue gray! like this site (http://www.forrester-boyd.co.uk/)

You need alot of information on the site ..so have 2 colums have "for measurements that matter" on the left hand side taking up say 70% of the white space and have "news and updates" on the right taking up the other 30%.

Without better colors, the yellow doesnt work, kill it!

I actually dont mind the logo, with all the people, but again differnet colors!

I hope this doesnt sound too harsh!, anthony



EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum