View Full Version : Browser identification

Spudhead
09-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Something is appearing in my site stats as "MSN 1.0". What is it? Who uses it?

Incidentally, if you know of a site that lists common browser ident labels and what those browsers actually ARE (ie: "Explorer 5.2 - this is IE on a Mac"), I'd be dead, dead grateful, like.

:thumbsup:

nikkiH
09-20-2005, 04:05 PM
You realize Firefox and Opera users can send whatever user agent they want to, right?
And if I use my Java thing I made that reads URLs, I send whatever user agent I feel like using. ;)

It's just a header. Anyone can send whatever they want.

gsnedders
09-20-2005, 05:04 PM
It's just a header. Anyone can send whatever they want.
Normally just lying saying they're other browsers though :)

MSN 1.0 is Microsoft's subscription only browser - If it's version 1 it'll almost certinally be the OS X version, which is powered by the Tasman rendering engine, which is in most ways superior to the Trident rendering engine (used on IE/Win and MSN/Win).

Span
09-24-2005, 09:23 PM
.. a site that lists common browser ident labels and what those browsers actually ARE ..
http://www.psychedelix.com/agents.html

felgall
09-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Some browsers have to lie about what browser that they are because some dummies code their web pages to check that the browser being used is IE before allowing access even though the page will work perfectly well in all modern browsers as well.

mark87
09-24-2005, 11:49 PM
^ My view on people who do that is 'leave them to it'. If they want to exclude people because they aren't using IE, then they don't deserve you viewing their site!

felgall
09-25-2005, 12:35 AM
Unfortunately some of the worst offenders in blocking access to non-IE browsers are big companies and government departments where you often don't get the choice of leaving them to it.

The ones that give me the biggest problem are the sites that advertise jobs and the Australian Taxation Office.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum