View Full Version : Encrypt work?

crazykilla
09-17-2005, 05:46 AM
I'm making some blocks and stuff that people can download and use..I was wondering if there is a way to encrypt the file contents so it can't be changed.

Fou-Lu
09-17-2005, 06:45 AM
If your referring to php pages being downloaded, I recall hearing of a method in which this can be done. However, in the long run its probably not overly effective. Think of it like html, I remember seeing sites for 'encrypt and protect your html!', as if its even possible to do so. If a server or a browser can decrypt and display the request, than so can a human. The only possible way to preform any type of encryption is with the use of a key - and if you have both the key and the data, its easy to decrypt.

Nightfire
09-17-2005, 02:13 PM
There's places like this http://www.sourcecop.com but like fou-lu said, I wouldn't really bother though. Just a waste of your money and time

marek_mar
09-17-2005, 02:33 PM
...to encrypt the file contents so it can't be changed.
Encryption can make the contents unreadable but not unchagable.

crazykilla
09-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Only thing I want is..when someone downloads my blocks or whatever else i make they cant edit the code so they cant remove the copyright info etc..

gsnedders
09-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Only thing I want is..when someone downloads my blocks or whatever else i make they cant edit the code so they cant remove the copyright info etc..
Can't be done: PHP will always need to decode it, so it can always be decoded and edited.

Fou-Lu
09-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Thats right, take Nightfire's codecop or whatever it is link. Take a look at their example code. All it is is a new class which has been created -> which means you need to include these files as well for the server to decode. Not real encryption in the least, as its decrypted prior to fullfilling the request. Also meaning, it gives a cracker an excellent starting point. Crack the key, crack the code - can't be too tough when you have the source class.
You can never truely protect your work. Even with your script, if altered by more than 80%, it becomes legal property of the owner. Thats what I refer to as patchwork php, putting your scripts together out of sections of other peoples scripts.
There is one other way to protect your developement without the use of encryption: get a name for the product. Take vBulletin as a good example, its everywhere and easily recognized. Anybody that directly takes the vbulletin scriptwork, and alters the copywrite for their own distribution would be found out in very short accord.
Oh, I'm also assuming here that you are referring to a copywrite within the script itself, not within the html.

raf
09-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Can't be done: PHP will always need to decode it, so it can always be decoded and edited.
Hmm... while this may be true in theory, it's not that important.
You can always reverse engineer an encode file, but the skill, efford and time that would be required to do this will probably putt of most people.
I wonder how many people on this forum would be able and motivated to back-program a peace of PHP that was ecoded with the ZenD Encoder or Sourceguardian.
If you have some selfwritten app in PHP that you wanna distribute, then i think the chances are very limited that one of your clients will take the efford to reverse engineer it.
Of course, it'll cost you 250 (for Sourceguardian) to 960 (for Zend Encoder) dollars to buy the encoding-package, so you'll need to sell quite a few copies...

felgall
09-18-2005, 12:42 AM
Encoding the PHP may be useful to stop people from easily modifying the downloaded code but there is no way to encrypt the final version of the web page that it creates that cannot be decrypted in a few seconds using a web browser.

pjleonhardt
09-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Encoding the PHP may be useful to stop people from easily modifying the downloaded code but there is no way to encrypt the final version of the web page that it creates that cannot be decrypted in a few seconds using a web browser.

Yes, but the webpage showing in the browser won't show the PHP code.. only the results of the code.
You just said something along the lines of.. If I eat the cookie, I'll know exactly how it was made..

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum