View Full Version : Discussion boards

katt
09-15-2005, 08:12 PM
I have a web commmunity (medical charity website) running phpBB2 discussion boards. The boards have been hacked twice - the first time we managed to salvage from backups - but not the second time (lost 20,000 posts arghhh). Having had problems twice in 6 months we are looking to change to another board. We are happy to pay for the software (even though as a charity we have limited resources) but it must be reliable and secure. Can anyone suggest any reliable boards - so far looked at vBulletin, Invision. Btw the board need to be written in PHP and use a mySQL db. We would also prefer be able to convert the existing phpBB database - after patchingup LOL. (Although we have lost the posts the hacking doesn't appear to have affected the registered members (much))

Thanks in advance

Katt

Scootertaj
09-15-2005, 11:13 PM
I would check out the admin demo's of each and see which one you like better :thumbsup:
I would prefer vB.

http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dynamic/products/board/demoaccount.html
http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo.php

oracleguy
09-15-2005, 11:14 PM
I don't know about invision but vB is very easy to setup and get running.

JamieR
09-15-2005, 11:42 PM
I recommend vBulletin. Jelsoft might even (dunno but I doubt it) have a policy for charities where they give you money off but I wouldn't have thought so.

itsonlybarney
09-16-2005, 01:01 AM
i have never had a problem with phpBB but that is because i have kept the updates upto date.

when you were hacked were you using the most recent version of phpBB??

every piece of software is hackable and the best method pf prevention is being upto date....

Scootertaj
09-16-2005, 02:54 AM
Yes, but Phpbb is known for getting hacked.

Jelsoft might even (dunno but I doubt it) have a policy for charities where they give you money off but I wouldn't have thought so
No I believe it's just the 2 prices $85 for leased, $160 for owned and the branding option one.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum