View Full Version : building a photo gallery - Flash or Javascript ??

kreatiff
09-15-2005, 10:32 AM
I'm trying to build a photo gallery for a sports website, where a user can select a batch of images from a drop-down menu. Then view the images in either a play/stop mode or 1, 2, 3.. which is more ploddy I think.

Should I use Javascript for this or try it in Flash ??

martin_narg
09-15-2005, 01:30 PM
Whatever you feel like mate. There are plenty of slideshow scripts at dynamic drive (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/index.html ) or in flash on the web (http://www.flash-here.com/downloads/fhslide.html ).

Essentially users without the flash plugin cannot view a flash slideshow. Users without javascript enabled cannot see the javascript one, although both can be made to degrade down well.

Hope this helps

m_n

jbezweb
09-15-2005, 02:27 PM
For a user perspective, there is always the possibility of dial-up (shudders). I think a javascript approach would far better on a dial-up connect as apposed to flash.

If you don't care about that, go for flash, it can be made 'nicer looking' :)

Cheers

martin_narg
09-15-2005, 02:59 PM
For a user perspective, there is always the possibility of dial-up (shudders). I think a javascript approach would far better on a dial-up connect as apposed to flash.

If you don't care about that, go for flash, it can be made 'nicer looking' :)

Cheers
There's no real difference mate, the flash file is only going to be the same size as the javascript equivelant (give or take half a kB or so). Both the flash movie and the javascript would load images on request, or at least the nearest two in the sequence so dial-up won't really be a major prob (unless the images are huge to start with!). Where dial-up would be a problem would be of either the script or the flash movie tried to load all the images at once, rather than on demand. But a decent flash movie/script would do it on demand.

Coolness, I don't think it really matters what is used - it's the choice between how many users have the flash plugin versus how many people disable javascript. Both the flash movie and the script should degrade down to support non flash and non javascript enabled users though. If I was building this, I would degrade from flash down to javascript down to plain html.

m_n

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum