View Full Version : Need advice on screen resolutions

harlequin2k5
09-10-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm about to begin a new website and I'm going to try it using a 3-column css layout.

Considering I'm completely new to css, that alone is going to be a challenge.

But my question is this - is it now appropriate to design a site geared toward a 1024x768 resolution as opposed to an 800x600?

To get an idea - feel free to visit what I hope to be the new Suncoast USBC Bowling Association (http://www.suncoastwebdesigns.com/suncoastba/) website.

This is not the final design - personally I think that orange-yellow is kinda harsh for a banner - still working on that

The site shows up quite lovely in IE6, FF1.0.6 - but doesn't look as lovely in Opera8.02.

I think it looks ok positioned to the left but I think I'd like to have it centered - I've tried margin: auto but I can't seem to make it work so until I figure it out I'll leave it on the left.

Any thoughts?

rrhodes
09-11-2005, 01:51 AM
I seriously considered making the jump to 1024 on the last site I programmed, but this was a site that had information that needed to be printed. You can just barely print a site designed for 760 pixels wide on 8.5" wide paper, but a 1024 site can get the margins cut off. Most users don't know how to compensate.

missing-score
09-11-2005, 02:45 AM
I generally try and aim for the best of both.... If possible design a fluid layout, one that will expand to fit any resolution, but personally I always browse at 1024*768 anyway. I just like to know that anyone will be able to view my site and have it looking good...

bazz
09-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Well I am no expert but, I try to design fluidly so that it fits at a range of resolutions. Then I make a stylesheet just for those who want to print the page and code it so that the banenrs etc are removed and they get what might normally be put in a pdf file.

worth doing as it's much easier to update it later

Bazz

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum