View Full Version : What photo management software do you recommend?

Grant Palin
08-31-2005, 11:58 PM
I've been taking a lot of digital photos this summer, and am starting to lose track of them on my computer. So I've been looking at photo management software. By this I mean to group, catalog, label, tag, etc photos, so it's easier to view sets of related photos or to find a particular one.

I already have Adobe Photoshop 6, so I'm not looking for an image editor

I've found a fair few offerings. The main contenders - to me - seem to be:

Photoshop Elements 3
ACDSee 7

One limitation is that I'm a Windows guy, so the software needws to work on Windows. I believe iPhoto is Mac software, so that one is out.

Has anyone had personal experience with any of these packages, or any other that might be what I'm looking for? Please share your insights.

09-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Ya, iPhoto is mac only. I don't really use any photo managment software, just the thumbnails/filmstrip view in XP. However ACDSee is brilliant - I've briefly used Picasa but I didn't like it much.

09-01-2005, 01:18 AM
When I used to use MS windows I used this software

It's not exclusively just for photo management but it has that ability as well as sharing photos online with family/friends and creating screensavers and desktop wallpaper managment, etc.

09-01-2005, 08:10 AM
I use Picasa, it is pretty nice, I like it a lot. I only have about 1300 photos in it but it makes it easy to find stuff and it has some good quick photo modification tools. And it lets you easily export photos for email or printing.

Oh and its from Google and its free.