View Full Version : Windows XP Security

saeed
08-28-2005, 09:46 PM
hi all,
wanna know is there any way to make a drive password protected in Windows XP Professional. It can be any third party tool or Windows XP built in function. I am using FAT32 partition.

any help regarding this will be appreciated.

S@eed.

JamieR
08-29-2005, 12:17 AM
Well firstly you'd be better off converting your file system to NTFS as it supports encryption etc...

saeed
08-29-2005, 05:28 PM
is there any other way for making password protection rather converting harddisk partition to NTFS. I mean 3rd party tool or Windows XP add-ons. etc.

nmtri
09-01-2005, 10:22 AM
I also agreed with Mr. Weazel . But you will pay time to encryp folders or files you want to protect. If you don't want so, using a third party tool.

:cool:

SpirtOfGrandeur
09-01-2005, 10:57 AM
is there any other way for making password protection rather converting harddisk partition to NTFS. I mean 3rd party tool or Windows XP add-ons. etc.

Yes there are all sorts of costly programs out there to do this. The problem is that they only watch what is being sent to Explorer.exe and weed out the information you do not want. Actually I have not looked into this since windowsXP SP2 therefore I am not sure if they even allow this any more. The best bet is to set the drive to NTFS like they said and set the user permissions on the folder.

dw5304
09-03-2005, 12:41 AM
you can check out http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Misc__Encryption_Utilities/CleverCrypt_Lite__Freeware__Download.html for quite a few freeware encripters.

saeed
09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
I had done a new installation of Windows XP on NTFS partitions ... now what ?

oracleguy
09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
You probably didn't need to re-install in order to convert from FAT32 to NTFS.

Anyways, you'll need to disable simple file sharing first: open my computer then go to tools > folder options > view tab > uncheck 'use simple file sharing'

now whenever you go to the properties of a folder, file, drive, there is a security tab which you can use to restrict access.

saeed
09-15-2005, 06:51 PM
Thank u very much mate.

I really appreciated your work.

God bless you.

:thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum