View Full Version : Thoughts on my site?

Single Paradox
08-28-2005, 07:26 AM
http://www.singleparadox.com

I am thinking about redoing the top and bottom images (the gold ones), and I realize that the top diamond is pixelated. I will fix that as well. But about the general accessibility and style and eye catching-ness of my site, please review. I also realize that people in lower resolutions than 1280 by 1024 can't see all the content, PLEASE DON'T WORRY!!! This will be fixed because I am making a javascript that will change the stylesheet depending on the screen resolution and each stylesheet will change the heights and widths of the content and so on and so forth. So please view on any operation system and every browser but so far only works in 1280x1024. I repeat, don't post about the resolution troubles because it will be fixed. Thank you in advance.

Might I add that I am making an image preloader because I realize that the login button when focused doesn't change quick enough

-Tom

ArcticFox
08-28-2005, 08:31 AM
FYI - the login section is way below my horizon. So with no main scrollbar, there's nothing I could do.

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-28-2005, 09:07 AM
Not everyone has the same resolution so removing the scrollbar isn't a wise idea. You have some errors (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.singleparadox.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&verbose=1) on your site though.

Single Paradox
08-28-2005, 09:38 PM
FYI - the login section is way below my horizon. So with no main scrollbar, there's nothing I could do.

I repeat, don't post about the resolution troubles because it will be fixed

Please I can only say it so many times, that answers both of your comments. For now would you mind switching to 1280 by 1024 OR pressing F11?

Ranger56
08-28-2005, 10:47 PM

Damn dude you've got like 50px pf viewable stuff there.

rmedek
08-28-2005, 11:00 PM
But about the general accessibility and style and eye catching-ness of my site, please review.
The yellow text on the blue background make things very hard to read... the colors clash so it's tough to focus. You should also probably increase the line-height to increase legibility.

I like the color scheme of the dark blue over the light blue, though, although personally I think your header and footer images (regardless of the pixelation) are tacky and take up way too much space.

About the accessibility, all of the links are javascript, and don't go anywhere at the moment, so not sure what you want us to say there. Needless to say, javascript-only links are not only unaccessible but also mess with my browser options.

The site doesn't validate, has tons of coding errors, and isn't semantic at all. Your content areas are enclosed in form-specific tags, and there's no headings to speak of. I think it needs a lot of work.

Single Paradox
08-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Ok thank you for the comments. And the javascript links, I figured that the reason people want to see my site is to view the flash pages and Dhtml and javascript games and such, therefore the whole point of viewing my site is to see javascript stuff. If someone doesn't have javascript installed, I can guess that they don't have flash, which would be pointless to come to my site then wouldn't it?

Neno
08-28-2005, 11:23 PM
It does need lot of work, but I don't know if you caught from his signature that he is 13... ?
But he seems to be tallented.
I wished I could help him.
But, the only way he could be helped is with an advice; get rid of tables and learn CSS-only design. And some other stuff along the way.
I hope he gets my point.

Single Paradox
08-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Thank you Neno, I love advice. I will change to a css only design and make the tables into divs and spans, might be a little hard though. Anyway thank you again Neno.

ArcticFox
08-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Damn dude you've got like 50px pf viewable stuff there.

Yep. And it makes me laugh real hard when people say they have to scroll down to see my whole page! (check attached image)

Anyhoo... besides that, the page is real jumpy when I scroll the center. I've looked a little through your code and can't see what would be causing it - unless it's the JS or CSS (which I haven't looked into). I'm on a 800MHz machine.

The colours are very nice - everything easy enough to read even by old eyes like mine.

I don't understand "Single Paradox" being in english and the rest of the page not. What language is that?

I'm on a 1024x768 screen resolution, so if you're going to JS your CSS via 'resolution', that won't show your page any better than it does now on my setup - check by viewable window size and take width and height measurments to come up with a best solution.

:thumbsup:

mark87
08-29-2005, 01:03 AM
I don't understand "Single Paradox" being in english and the rest of the page not. What language is that?

http://www.lipsum.com/

Single Paradox
08-29-2005, 01:10 AM
Thank you, don't worry I am making a script that does a little somthing like this:

function chk_res() {
if(screen.height==768&&screen.width==1024){
document.getElementById('StyleSheet1').href="goldStyle_1024x768.css";
document.getElementById('StyleSheet2).href="goldStyleFF_1024x768.css";
}else if(screen.height==600&&screen.width==800){
document.getElementById('StyleSheet1').href="goldStyle_800x600.css";
document.getElementById('StyleSheet2).href="goldStyleFF_800x600.css";
}else if(blah blah blah){
}
}

body onload="chk_res();">

Do you catch my drift? I am making a different IE stylesheet and a different Mozilla stylesheet for every resolution, and the script detects the resolution and changes the stylesheet as thus. That is why I gave my stylesheets ID's lol. Oh and about the whole not in english thing, the text I used is just filler text, to see what text looks like on my site until I get actual content. Don't be alarmed I can't write in Spanish or whatever that is =P

rmedek
08-29-2005, 01:22 AM
It does need lot of work, but I don't know if you caught from his signature that he is 13... ?
Yes, I know how old he is, but he and a lot of other young kids who visit these forums don't want to be judged on their age. So I'm not. Check out some of the ywda.org threads here and you'll see what I mean.

Single Paradox
08-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Thank you Rmedek, yes I don't care what age I am, I see kids my age with good sites and kids my age with bad sites; adults with good sites and adults with bad sites. I don't want people to judge my site according to my age for I have been doing this for 3-4 years. Please take the script I am making into consideration though. :D

rmedek
08-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Just so you know, I don't think the script is a good idea. I don't think it's necessarily BAD, but I think it's a lot of extra work. One of the challenges for designing for the web is to create a site that looks good in all resolutions and user agents, so I say focus your energies on that and less on workarounds.

Just my $0.02. :thumbsup:

Single Paradox
08-29-2005, 02:14 AM
I really have no problem making the stylesheets, and if it looks good and proffesional in all resolutions,browsers,and Operation systems then its fine with me

rmedek
08-29-2005, 02:20 AM
Okay, so what happens if I have a 1280px screen size, but keep my browser window open at 800px?

Single Paradox
08-29-2005, 05:47 AM
shouldn't have your browser window that small? If you look at most sites like that you will have to scroll. Why would you want your browser window that small anyway? It is a chance I'm willing to take.

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-29-2005, 06:20 AM
Some users don't use their maximum resolution to view a site sometimes because they might have another site opened side by side.

Single Paradox
08-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Look at your site Aerospace, you can't see everything when you make it that small can you? It's a common ploblem but I guess if you want to view my site like that you have to deal with it? This is kind of a silly problem that you brought up, if people really want to see my content they can go up to the top right of that window and click maximize, I don't find it that hard.

bazz
08-29-2005, 08:30 PM
I see what you mean but at the end of the day accessibility is important. Maybe not for this site you are doing but for toehrs, you should design them to be fluid i.e., so that they'll show up well in all resolutions and whatver size the user has made their window. You'll only need spend time on one stylesheet too then. It's a good habit to get into.

My 2p

Bazz

mw2005
08-29-2005, 08:47 PM
...You could also try to create a CSS navigational menu becuase more people can see it (They don't have to have JS enabled) and it is easy to update and change the whole style without having to change seperate pages.

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Look at your site Aerospace, you can't see everything when you make it that small can you? It's a common ploblem but I guess if you want to view my site like that you have to deal with it? This is kind of a silly problem that you brought up, if people really want to see my content they can go up to the top right of that window and click maximize, I don't find it that hard.
This is the part where your age shows. You asked for a review and you got it. I was trying to be mature about this whole thing something obviously you can't comprehend.

Single Paradox
08-30-2005, 02:37 AM
I'm not getting mad... I'm just saying, can we stop with the "size" and "client window" and "resolution" part of my site? would you mind actually reviewing the code and design maybe? Just a thought. Thank you bazz or bass whatever it was (sorry I didn't catch it), I like to hear that, not crap about my age on a site review.

ArcticFox
08-30-2005, 02:45 AM
You should just have a JS to close the original window and open another one with your page in a fullscreen/chromeless one. That'll be a lot better for all those who keep their screen sizes at <1200.

LOL! Size is everything, AE. :eek:

Ranger56
08-30-2005, 03:18 AM
man, 800px is tiny! My viewport is 1284X988.

bazz
08-30-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm not getting mad... I'm just saying, can we stop with the "size" and "client window" and "resolution" part of my site? would you mind actually reviewing the code and design maybe? Just a thought. Thank you bazz or bass whatever it was (sorry I didn't catch it), I like to hear that, not crap about my age on a site review.

It's bazz(or perhaps more accurately, bazzzzzzzz) coz I might have fallen asleep, one time, when I was trying to think of a handle :)

Y'know, you might not like the 'size', 'client window' and 'resolution' stuff and; I am not into over-use of terminology either but, they are important.

The code of your (anyone's), page determines everything about how it can display. Do it properly, (when learned, it's as easy as doing it wrongly), and those issues fade to insignificance because you have 'by default' addressed them.

I would suggest you begin to learn (wait for it...) symantic coding so that your html includes only html code and then in CSS do the styling. Then your pages will be visible in all browsers at mkost (if not all) screen resolutions and it'll be much easier to de-bug or upgrade.

If you ever wnat to do this as a job or career, then time-efficiency and cost-efficiency are both vital so symantic coding is the only way. And now would be the time to learn it so that you can be competitive when you're older.

As for the parts of your site you did ask for views on, I think they're pretty much covered though mine would have been that without the scrollbar I can't see your login. Which brings me to another suggestion.

I find that if someone 'messes' with my browser such as, by removing the scrollbar, that I wonder why they would do that unless they were worthy of suspicion. For whatever your reasons (and I know you're aiming at a specific audience), I would look elsewhere for your content since there are many many other JS sites around which don;t try to control my browser. So I would think it a good idea if you put yourself in the shoes of your audience and what their concerns might be. Then, you'll end up with a better user experience and (co-incidentally), probably, one that is symantically coded and styled with CSS.

Another 2p :)

Bazzzz

Bazz

bazz
08-30-2005, 12:46 PM
man, 800px is tiny! My viewport is 1284X988.

:D it's not the size but how you use it that counts!! Speaking as an average person with no more than 1024x768.

Bazz

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum