View Full Version : help generating a list of html links from a excel file...

08-25-2005, 06:19 AM
I have an excel file with 2,500 titles and 2,500 associated urls... does anyone know a simple way to generate a html page which combines the titles with their associated hyperlink?

Are there any simple programs that can import table data and export html of hyperlinked text?

- thanks

08-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Excel has the option of saving a spreadsheet as HTML, but the amount of garbage poured into the end result is staggering and could take ages to clean up.

When Googling for "clean up excel web page" I hit this page: "Cleaning up Microsoft ... Excel code"; at the bottom of the page and partially in the right side bar the fastest, easiest way is explained. Downside is, you'll need DreamWeaver for it.
I can imagine some text manipulation tool could achieve something similar, but I'm unfamiliar with such stuff.

08-25-2005, 08:32 AM
You could possibly use some type of server side language. I know CSV files are a common flat file for server side languages. Perl supposedly has a builtin function that can convert xls files to an sql. PHP can read a CSV (Comma Seperated Values) file quite easily though not sure how to generate links from it.

08-26-2005, 10:00 AM
I seem to end up doing a fair amount of this kind of work, and the easiest way I've found is to first save the Excel file as comma or tab delimted and then use a text editor with decent find and replace capabilities to do the work.

So, for instance, the first search might be to find all occurences of a new line and replace it with a new line character followed by a <p>, then the next one might be to find all tabs (or commas) and replace them with </p><p>, etc etc.

If you get into regular expression searching (GREP) then with a little practise these kinds of tasks can be made quite easy (if still tedious ;)

I'm on a Mac and so I use BBedit (which has the ability to create complex find and replace patterns and then run them sequentially), but I'm sure there are similar programs for Windows.

Good luck!

08-26-2005, 01:37 PM
When asking for this sort of advice, you need to post a sample (single row) of your data and a sample of the result you're after...

08-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Have you got access to a server.
Does your host support perl.
Do you know anything about perl?

If there were 3 'yes' answers, then the solution is quite straightforward. Even if your unsure of perl, if the first two answers were yes, then, you could let me know or, ask in the perl forum.

In the end, you could be able to add or delete records in your excel file through your browser and automatically, generate a web page for each record- if that sounds better.