View Full Version : Personal Printer Woes...

Tristan Gray
08-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I am heading back to school and living with a bunch of chumps in a house. We all have a lot of essay-writing that we do and so printing is a big deal. I have wasted tonnes of cash on single-use printers. By that I mean stupid crappy lexmarks or cannons that are not worth buying the new ink for since the ink costs almost as much as the system. I have no use for colour printing and just want to be able to print a lot of essays in black and white. This means that I have been looking at a laserjet. This is all well and good but we are almost certainly going to be on a wireless network and I'm guessing a personal monochromatic laser printer probably won't include wireless print serving. So what do you fellas suggest? Any particular printers out there that get your seal of extreme quality?

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-25-2005, 06:29 AM
There is hardware you can buy that makes your printer wireless. I believe it connects through the parallel port on your printer if you have one or it could even connect to usb. Check out this link (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/D-Link-802-11b-Wireless-Print-Server-DP-311P-/sem/rpsm/oid/96603/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do).Its a product similar to what I was talking about. I don't know if you would want to drop 80bux on it though.

Tristan Gray
08-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Ahhh, that gave me an idea, buy a wireless router with a printserver set up with it already. The printer would then have to be near the access point but oh well. Cheapest solution I'm sure.

scroots
08-27-2005, 09:45 PM
The other way is buy a cheap old pc and use that as a print server. It might give you more control over your printer.

scroots

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum