View Full Version : Why?

titaniumbean
08-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Does IE and windows/microsoft suck so badly.

And has anyone got a link to a site which can help me do all the IE hacks i'm going to need to do as having just looked at my site in IE on a pc (it looks fine in Safari (mac), FF (pc and mac) but looks like a different site in IE.

grrrr.

I don't like web design anymore.

titaniumbean.

JamieR
08-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Does IE and windows/microsoft suck so badly.

Well in effect IE doesn't actually suck. It's actually a *good* browser seeing as it is the most used browser around. However it's lack of support for webstandards etc brings it down. People who don't give a t*ss about web standards use it without problem. XP's SP2 made it more secure but it's defaults leaves it open to attack.

God we've had this "why does IE suck" discussion on there so many times ;)

As for IE hacks, there are loads...
http://www.google.com/search?q=IE%20CSS%20hacks

Tristan Gray
08-24-2005, 03:58 PM
But I warn you now that IE hacks are a cheap fix and I do not recommend using them. There is almost always a more clever way to code your page that eliminates the need to use hacks to get your page to display properly cross-browser.

Bill Posters
08-24-2005, 03:58 PM
www.positioniseverything.net

And IE does suck. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. ;)

But I warn you now that IE hacks are a cheap fix and I do not recommend using them. There is almost always a more clever way to code your page that eliminates the need to use hacks to get your page to display properly cross-browser.

By 'more clever', do you mean 'more div-tastic'?

titaniumbean
08-24-2005, 03:59 PM
eh??? don't be silly. popularity due to ignorance isn't "good". Sorry we don't need to be having this discussion again; as an aside (!) do any of you have a set of certain hacks they always do to a page to make then ie/general spazzy public readable??

I have no clue where to start, and to be honest really don't feel like ever starting, could just put up a page saying get a decent browser/computer!

titaniumbean.

titaniumbean
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM

well I haven't yet seen any things saying don't use positioning or alignment or anything because IE can't hack (no pun intended) them; and now I find oh look that image that is very basically aligned, is in the wrong place and it's left border is about 30 computer screen feet away.... sodding microsoft.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ArcticFox
08-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Oh please. You kids need to stop sucking your thumbs and crying to mommy.

Why is it, when something doesn't look right in FF it's a coding mistake. But, if it doesn't look right in IE it's a MS's bug.

Web Standards is the problem, and you people need to just let it go. Everything was just fine till someone decided to go change everything. If you code for a little used browser like FF/Safari, then it's a sure bet that it'll be different with the big boys' toy.

I'm so frigg'n sick of hearing you babies cry about how MS sucks - drop it you whiners and grow up! :mad:

titaniumbean
08-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Oh please. You kids need to stop sucking your thumbs and crying to mommy.

Why is it, when something doesn't look right in FF it's a coding mistake. But, if it doesn't look right in IE it's a MS's bug.

Web Standards is the problem, and you people need to just let it go. Everything was just fine till someone decided to go change everything. If you code for a little used browser like FF/Safari, then it's a sure bet that it'll be different with the big boys' toy.

I'm so frigg'n sick of hearing you babies cry about how MS sucks - drop it you whiners and grow up! :mad:

meh as long as you're not trying to claim either IE or microsoft is any good.

ArcticFox
08-24-2005, 04:19 PM
meh as long as you're not trying to claim either FF or Safari is any good.

sage45
08-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Since this thread is not purposeful to this forum, it is being closed.

-sage-

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum