View Full Version : Information Gathering from Databases outside of your server.

Icedan
08-10-2005, 09:52 AM
Just a question about gathering information from databases that you don't own, but are allowed access to.

Let's say, all airlines in Europe have a website of their own, and their website lists all of their destinations and special packages; which all show their prices; and this information is pulled from their database.

Hypothetically, lets say I built a website that gathers all airlines destinations and special package prices from their website's/database's and gathers them into one list.

What are all the ways one could go about doing this?

(Note, I am not actually attempting this, I just want to find out more information on it).

I believe www.zuji.com.sg does have a system like this.

SpirtOfGrandeur
08-10-2005, 12:55 PM
You would take a nightly data dump of their data. That way you do not upset them by running against their database during the middle of the day. Then you run your site off of your own data that you recieved.

oracleguy
08-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Yeah and there are automated ways of doing that as well. It would probably improve your site's performance anyways if you didnt have to keep going out to some remote server to run queries.

Icedan
08-11-2005, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the info.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum