View Full Version : Restoring FF Profile

NancyJ
08-03-2005, 11:45 AM
How do I restore a firefox profile, I went to a site that did something funky with my browser and I had to close FF when I tried to restart it said the default profile was in use so I created a new profile but ofcourse I lost all my settings so I'm trying to get the default back, I've restarted but I dont know how to change profile...

shyam
08-03-2005, 03:52 PM
if ur in linux the profile info is stored in ur firefox profile info can be found in
~/.mozilla/firefox
here there is a file called profile.ini which contains a list of the profiles every profile has its own directory...snoop around the directories to find out ur original profile a look at the bookmarks.html

once u've found ur profile change the entry of Default=1 in the profile.ini file

remember to do all this with firefox not running...when u open firefox after this ur profile would have been restored :)

oracleguy
08-03-2005, 08:08 PM
On Windows, at least XP & 2000, your profile data is stored under:

C:\Documents And Settings\<your username>\Application Data\

There should be a Mozilla or Firefox folder in there that has another folder for each profile. I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics at the moment. Application Data is a hidden folder so you might need to turn on viewing of hidden files and folders to see it.

Jason
08-03-2005, 08:32 PM
in that case, most likely there is an instance of ff running on the computer. in windows you just need to go into the Task Manager and kill the firefox task. In Linux you need to just shut down all instances of firefox and it will be just fine on load up again.

Jason

Ranger56
08-04-2005, 01:21 AM
in that case, most likely there is an instance of ff running on the computer. in windows you just need to go into the Task Manager and kill the firefox task. In Linux you need to just shut down all instances of firefox and it will be just fine on load up again.

Jason

Yeah, I do that whenever it happens.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum