View Full Version : how to download and view any file in browser

user11
08-02-2005, 11:32 PM
I have an application where I am storing file content in database. When I get the bytes back, I don't have the file extension and the byte content can be of any type - such as gif, jpeg, word, pdf. I am not sure what I should set on contentType to view the files.
If I don't set contentType, it attempts to open the file by the url extension which is not right. Is there a way I can find contentType from the bytes? The browsers I need to support to view the bytes content is IE and mozilla.

hemebond
08-03-2005, 12:02 AM
You need to store the content type in the database too.

cf2sg
08-03-2005, 05:17 AM
better to use standard extension :o

user11
08-03-2005, 09:43 PM
the problem is - when through my application, a user uploads the file, the file may not have an extension (some users just don't have files with extension). In the database, I store the filename and the bytes(blob). Because, the file extension is not provided, when I need to render the file, I am not able to set the proper contenttype. If I set the contentType=application/octet-stream, the browser opens the "File Download" dialog which has option to "Open" or 'Save". I am wondering how I can make it have the "Open With" or the Choose Program dialog?

hemebond
08-03-2005, 11:14 PM
I am wondering how I can make it have the "Open With" or the Choose Program dialog?This is really up to the user agent (browser). Did you save the filename?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum