View Full Version : Nonexpanding divs in IE?

TheDingo
08-02-2005, 08:38 PM
I am trying to make a couple invisible divs (visible, but 0x0 in size). These divs work as canvases for Javascript based vector graphics. Currently, my sizeless, contentless divs appear perfectly (meaning they don't) in Firefox, and graphics are generated all over the screen. But when in IE, if any graphics are generated, the div blows up in to an empty white space.

Is there anyway to force IE to keep a div size and just overflow?

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Try adding overflow:hidden; to those divs.

TheDingo
08-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Try adding overflow:hidden; to those divs.

Same result

_Aerospace_Eng_
08-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Okay then give us a link to your site rather than keep having us guess at what the problem might be.

TheDingo
08-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Okay then give us a link to your site rather than keep having us guess at what the problem might be.

Unfortunatly, it's not a public site, but honestly it is as simple as I mentioned. At the bottom of my page I have this:

<div id="loadWindow" style=""></div>
<div id="msgBox" style=""></div>
</BODY>

Along with that, I am using the wz_jsgraphics library (http://www.walterzorn.com/jsgraphics/jsgraphics_e.htm). Basically I need the divs to be unseen, and just overflow the graphics drawn in the div on to the screen. It works just like that, except when IE generates the graphics it expands the div to a whitespace about 50px tall at the bottom (if I specify the div height and width to 0, IE outputs whitespace of the same size before generating any graphics). Oddly, it does generate the graphics in the correct area on the screen (and outside the div area), but that white space at the bottom messes up my alignment.

TheDingo
08-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Fixed it by cheating.

I just tossed them inside a table I had but not within any td or tr tags just to see what would happen. All the browsers seem like it fine, though it's sloppy as hell.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum