View Full Version : Jamierees.net v2

07-25-2005, 11:38 AM
I created myself a "to do" list for the summer, and started working down it...this was one of the things on it, so knocked this site up in about an hour - what you think? It's wonderful what you can do when you've got some spare time :D

>>www.jamierees.net :)

btw not all of the pages are done yet

07-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Hi Jamie, nice work. It's obviously nice and clean and neat, coherent etc.. so anything I say is necessarily nitpicky. However I think you should pay attention to...

- the background mouseover colour on the nav links - should be the full size of the 'tab' surely?
- the footer is a bit cramped. A bigger line height and more top padding would help.

07-25-2005, 10:17 PM
nice, nice

not the best work jamie jamierees.co.uk is alot better i say

but this design is clean i gues and easy to work with :thumbsup:

07-25-2005, 10:44 PM
I'll make the footer a bit bigger and things to make the site a little less cramped.

Steve, I prefer this site to jamierees.co.uk, that one is too (oooo) dark, lol

Single Paradox
07-26-2005, 02:10 AM
I think it looks alright, I think at the top where it says "Jamie Rees" should be a different color than green; doesn't really match the rest of the site.

07-26-2005, 02:52 AM
I really like it,

I see a squidfingers background in there.

The link to ebuyer needs the http://

07-26-2005, 07:34 AM
I like, much better than before. :)

The aeroplane is nice in the header, but the text and semi-transparent 'block' under it seem, ahem, tacky. I'd definately change the font and colour of that text if I were you.

And yes, as said, footer seems a bit cramped.

Menu's nice. :p

07-26-2005, 01:19 PM
It looks too simple to me. It's an airplane picture with an off-center (and clashing) green name. Everything else was done (or is doable) with CSS and HTML. The plane doesn't even make sense for a Web designer/developer's site.

It's also too wide. You've used a horizontal menu which means all 700-or-so pixels goes to the content beneath it and you end up with three-lined pages like this: http://www.jamierees.net/index.php?page=about

It makes it look empty. If your site doesn't have much actual content, make it narrow or use vertical navigation in a sidebar to make the content column narrower. Reading lines that long is uncomfortable.

07-26-2005, 02:53 PM
The about page isn't finished yet, hence the white space there. I see the point about it being too wide, but every time I tried to crop up and resize a photo to around 760px in width, the stock photo ended up at about 300px in height, no frigging good - any ideas, let me know. I see your point about the clashing colour, what should I do about that? I was thinking about having a random images thing there, randomally showing several different images, but I have no idea what images to use....

Green Beast
07-28-2005, 02:00 PM
An hour! Wow. Not bad.

A couple of things to consider (I didn't poke around too much):

1) Change the alt text on your banner image to reflect your name/site name perhaps.

2) Beef up your form with a fieldset, labels, and a legend.

Nice work.