View Full Version : Please review.

Ranger56
07-22-2005, 12:44 AM
http://www.spiderseatbabies.com/swee/index.php

Not 100% done, please just review design and the media section ( http://www.spiderseatbabies.com/swee/index.php?page=media )

mw2005
07-22-2005, 09:35 AM
One word - BRILLIANT! I especially like the customised W3C buttons and I personally think that blue goes really well with most websites.

Are the W3C buttons images?

NOTE: The page is not valid HTML 4.01.

mark87
07-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Very nice, much better than before - alot more professional. Although still doesn't actually strike me as a band site at first glance without reading...

mw2005, of course their images...

http://www.spiderseatbabies.com/swee/badges/html.gif
http://www.spiderseatbabies.com/swee/badges/css.gif
http://www.spiderseatbabies.com/swee/badges/ff.gif

The page isn't valid due to 'type="text/javascript"' being missing from your script tags for popup.js - but I don't see where you are using the script anyway.

Green Beast
07-22-2005, 04:25 PM
I think it has a great look too it. Clean. I would, however, suggest messing around with the following:

1) Mouseover on nav links is green. That doesn't seem to fit the theme. I would suggest black or the intoroduction of a new highlight color, like #eecc11 (a very rich yellow).
2) The content divs need some padding (noted on the media page where text is touching the borders.
3) Fonts need work IMO. The arial heading those divs just looks like it could be better (the band mamber names for example). I'd try Verdana the the other parts.
4) Try using ems, percentages, or relative sizes for text. That way it can be enlarged with IE at will. Pixels aren't good to use for content. If you do that, make sure you either 1) apply the same measurement unit to any confined heights on the site, or apply {overflow:auto;} to said divs.
5) Contact page seems poorly laid out. I didn't look at the code there to see why. I would suggest using a contact form. Much better as in it allows people to contact you even if they don't hava mail client. Lots of people check email online due to spam. Offering only a mailto: link disallows a certain segment of the population from contacting you then and there, and they may not come back to do it when they can. At that point you would have lost a visitor.

Again, nice look. Clean. Needs a brush is all.

I hope this helps.
Mike

Note: At the moment I'm using IE6.2 on Windows XP at 1024x768, with a broadband.

Ranger56
07-22-2005, 05:28 PM
I think it has a great look too it. Clean. I would, however, suggest messing around with the following:

1) Mouseover on nav links is green. That doesn't seem to fit the theme. I would suggest black or the intoroduction of a new highlight color, like #eecc11 (a very rich yellow).
2) The content divs need some padding (noted on the media page where text is touching the borders.
3) Fonts need work IMO. The arial heading those divs just looks like it could be better (the band mamber names for example). I'd try Verdana the the other parts.
4) Try using ems, percentages, or relative sizes for text. That way it can be enlarged with IE at will. Pixels aren't good to use for content. If you do that, make sure you either 1) apply the same measurement unit to any confined heights on the site, or apply {overflow:auto;} to said divs.
5) Contact page seems poorly laid out. I didn't look at the code there to see why. I would suggest using a contact form. Much better as in it allows people to contact you even if they don't hava mail client. Lots of people check email online due to spam. Offering only a mailto: link disallows a certain segment of the population from contacting you then and there, and they may not come back to do it when they can. At that point you would have lost a visitor.

Again, nice look. Clean. Needs a brush is all.

I hope this helps.
Mike

Note: At the moment I'm using IE6.2 on Windows XP at 1024x768, with a broadband.

I'm working on most of that, I didn't get time yesterday because I had been up for about 30 hours. :(

Ranger56
07-22-2005, 05:32 PM
NOTE: The page is not valid HTML 4.01.

It is now!

Ranger56
07-22-2005, 05:33 PM
The page isn't valid due to 'type="text/javascript"' being missing from your script tags for popup.js - but I don't see where you are using the script anyway.

http://www.spiderseatbabies.com/swee/index.php?page=mp3

It pops up the media players.

Ranger56
07-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Ok, I fixed some of that stuff amd changed some other stuff. Does it look better now?

Scootertaj
07-25-2005, 02:52 AM
I like it a lot more than the last one, and as mark said, much more professional.

Well done :thumbsup:

Ranger56
07-25-2005, 02:58 AM
I like it a lot more than the last one, and as mark said, much more professional.

Well done :thumbsup:

Anything you dislike at all?

Scootertaj
07-25-2005, 03:27 AM
Yea.

1. I believe that the hover's should be switched on the navigation so it goes from light to dark not dark to light.
2. I don't really like how the top touches the top of the monitor, yet the bottom doesn't because of the validation and stuff. (Hope that makes sense). For that I think you could put the validation's and FF stuff above the copyright stuff in that big gap.

Ranger56
07-25-2005, 03:31 AM
Yea.

1. I believe that the hover's should be switched on the navigation so it goes from light to dark not dark to light.
2. I don't really like how the top touches the top of the monitor, yet the bottom doesn't because of the validation and stuff. (Hope that makes sense). For that I think you could put the validation's and FF stuff above the copyright stuff in that big gap.

I'll try it.

Better?

PcMan
07-26-2005, 08:13 PM
All i have to say is Good Job Mate! Its very clean indeed, nice looking, and most of all my favorite colors. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Crake
07-27-2005, 05:16 PM
i love the design alot i love it to pieces

what i dont like about it however

that

its better than mine lol :p

Ranger56
07-27-2005, 11:23 PM
i love the design alot i love it to pieces

what i dont like about it however

that

its better than mine lol :p

What design? All I see is an untitled Document.

:p

dispector
07-28-2005, 12:39 AM
its a great design but it doesnt strike me as a band site.

it seems more like a blog. When i see a band site I like to get a feel of the music by the way the site looks. I've never heard the music, so i dont really know what suggestions to give. Maybe check out the look of band sites in a similar genre and make a few tweaks acordingly.

Kurashu
07-28-2005, 04:50 AM
As a very quick suggest, for easily switching out CSS files and what not, make the images on the navigation background images on the links.

div#content a {
background: transparent url(images/larnav.gif) no-repeat;
padding: 0 0 0 13px;
}

But other sweet design, looks nice.

Edit: ...Do'h

harbingerOTV
07-28-2005, 05:44 AM
I'm going to have to with dispector on this one.

Although I have to say it has come a long way and does look nice (a lot better than when you first posted it), it doesn't work for me.

It's a very clean look and seems to be set up well. But doesn't say band. Kinda of like I look at it if weren't for the links (being the usual band site links) I wouldn't know what I was looking at. In short ther is no 'feel' to it.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum