View Full Version : Server side language

scott100
07-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Hi, i have just joined and and looking for some advice.

I am familiar with javascript and want to learn a server side language. I'm not sure what one to choose and what the differences between them are i.e ASP, PHP etc.

Can someone advise me?

Thanks.

delinear
07-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, as a PHP forum I suspect there will be some bias towards PHP here :p but personally I would definitely recommend it as a good starting point. I find that the open source history of PHP has resulted in far more helpful online content to aid the beginner in their learning experience, and I tend to find that there are more open-source PHP scripts out there for you to break apart and find out how they work.

From a strict programming point of view I just find PHP more flexible and easy to work with than ASP.

Digger3000
07-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Exactly, people here would lean toward PHP. I personally like PHP better, but it's always a good idea to try to get a knowledge of everything you can. I'd start with PHP though. Plus you can't use ASP unless you have IIS or download some other software. But I don't know, you might have it.

REMIYA
07-12-2005, 03:59 PM
PHP would be the first choice. Ecspecially PHP5 with its new OOP approach is astonishing.

And the only thing one would need is the PHP official manual. :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum