View Full Version : CD to MP3 track names?

Len Whistler
07-09-2005, 04:27 AM
I will be converting my CD collection to MP3 soon. I have a question about track names. How do MP3 players display the track, CD, and artist name? I assume I put the tracks into folders. Example:

band_name/cd_name/song_name.mp3

And can there be spaces in the names. Example:

band name/cd name/song name.mp3

Thanks

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-09-2005, 04:42 AM
Mp3 players usually go by the id3 track information. You can have spaces but not recommended. Its just like web design, spaces in file names isn't good. I would convert them to 'Artist - Track Name' (no quotes)

Len Whistler
07-09-2005, 04:44 AM
Ok thanks

Bill Posters
07-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Fwiw, I've encoded almost all my CDs and I've never encountered any problems with spaces in the file names when using any halfway modern OS.
I don't have an iPod, but if it's anything like Mac OS, it won't have any issues with spaces in file names either.

Also, fwiw, I recommend having the track number appear somewhere in the file name as it will help keep the albums in the correct running order when transferring them around.

I personally use…

Artist Name (folder)
> Release Title (folder)
>> Track#-Song Title.mp3

…as I find this the most clean and straight-forward way of storing with mp3s.

If you are likely to be dumping all your mp3 files into a single directory, then you might consider…

Artist Name - Release Title - Trk# - Song Title.mp3

e.g.
Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane - 08 - Sunday Morning.mp3

This should help keep things sorted no matter how you store them, particularly if you have several releases from a single artist/band.

JamieR
07-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I just use the standard "Artist - Track name" format :)

dannyhayes
07-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Artist - Track Name is the best format to have personally.

Bill Posters
07-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Artist - Track Name is the best format to have personally.
How do you (and weazel too, if you're reading this) store your files?

Perhaps I'm just more organised (retentive ;) ) or album-oriented, but I like to be able to see the correct running order if I look inside an album folder - or be able to know from the file name which track # the file is.

I personally use track#-track title.mp3 (e.g. 08-Sunday Morning.mp3[/i]), but then I'll have them inside an 'album title' folder and then that folder inside an 'artist name' folder. My files never get mixed in together.

JamieR
07-09-2005, 11:55 AM
How do you (and weazel too, if you're reading this) store your files?

I have all my Mp3s set inside albums named "Artist - Album name" then the tracks either named in "01 - Track" or when they are in my "misc" folder, "Artist - track name" for tracks which don't have an album.

Bill Posters
07-09-2005, 12:23 PM
I have all my Mp3s set inside albums named "Artist - Album name" then the tracks either named in "01 - Track" or when they are in my "misc" folder, "Artist - track name" for tracks which don't have an album.

Got ya.
I couldn't see the benefit of being so 'vague' (artist-track.mp3), but I was thinking from an album pov.
I can see how it makes sense for loose singles, in fact, that's also how I name the relatively few singles I have.

theexo51
08-03-2005, 03:19 PM
after ripping the mp3, you can go into the track data and enter all the info you want, then that will be displayed instead of the filename, (as far as i know)

i use mp3's in my car stereo cos it displays the track data, i use Artist - Track title and also Album - Yr of release... all useful info when having a music quiz on a long journey!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum