View Full Version : Storing DVD's to hard drive?

Vapor
07-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Is there a way to save dvd's to your computer and play them like you do when you store music in your windows media player?

JamieR
07-06-2005, 04:38 PM
It's possible, but don't they have "copy proof" protection?

Skyzyx
07-06-2005, 11:26 PM
If all you want to do is make a personal backup of a DVD that you own so that you can watch it on a laptop and not waste as much battery power just to spin the disc, or so that you can loan a copy to a friend and not be out any money if he/she loses it or forgets to give it back (a completely reasonable and sensible request, although it's technically illegal by U.S. law -- what ever happened to "fair use" rights?), I'd do a Google search for "SmartRipper", "DVD Decrypter", or "DVD Shrink" for Windows, or "DVD Backup" for Mac OS X.

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-07-2005, 04:11 AM
If all you want to do is make a personal backup of a DVD that you own so that you can watch it on a laptop and not waste as much battery power just to spin the disc, or so that you can loan a copy to a friend and not be out any money if he/she loses it or forgets to give it back (a completely reasonable and sensible request, although it's technically illegal by U.S. law -- what ever happened to "fair use" rights?), I'd do a Google search for "SmartRipper", "DVD Decrypter", or "DVD Shrink" for Windows, or "DVD Backup" for Mac OS X.
If you knew it was illegal then why are you even promoting it on these forums? If caught in the US reproducing copyrighted movies we can get fined up to 250000 dollars.

whackaxe
07-07-2005, 11:03 AM
If you knew it was illegal then why are you even promoting it on these forums? If caught in the US reproducing copyrighted movies we can get fined up to 250000 dollars.

fait use? don't have a cow over it, before the RIAA and MPAA started sueing everybody and their uncle it was fine to lend something to friend. nowdays lending=pirating. would you say someone who rips all his CDs onto his laptop so he can listen to them on the go is a pirate? no. i don't see why making a backup is illegal (unless you're circumventing access protection)

JamieR
07-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Exactly...it's not like he's downloading the new star wars film off bit torrent is it?

whackaxe
07-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Exactly...it's not like he's downloading the new star wars film off bit torrent is it?

OMG! that's illegal! U R teh banned!!!! :D

JamieR
07-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Hrm...I haven't done it :D

dannyhayes
07-07-2005, 07:11 PM
You lot are so sad he wants to backup a dvd who cares dont say all the crap about the us law they can bring it on!

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-07-2005, 07:40 PM
This thread is going nowhere. The UK people aren't the only ones on this forum. The last 4 posts were from people who don't live in the US. Even bit torrent sites are getting shut down every day by the US.

dannyhayes
07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
They will never stop people sharing files. Someone will always find a way.

Antoniohawk
07-07-2005, 08:04 PM
_Aerospace_Eng_ is right about this thread getting off-topic. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with discussing backing up your own dvds, so this thread will carry on unless it takes a turn for the worse. Let's get back on topic though people.

whackaxe
07-08-2005, 10:43 AM
I've heard good things about daemon tools as a virtual drive/copier

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/index.php

Willy Duitt
07-08-2005, 04:03 PM
You can also simply use the subst command to create a virtual drive on the fly to mount the dvd once stored to a folder...

Bring up the Command Prompt and type: subst z: c:\FOLDERNAME
Where z is the drive letter you are assigning and FOLDERNAME is the folder you wish to use as a virtual drive...

.....Willy

itsonlybarney
07-10-2005, 03:20 AM
i'm trying to make a backup of some DVDs i own so that i can use and lend them rather than my original copies but my problem is that the only computer in the house fast enough to do the copying is my laptop and in only has a CD burner in it. Is it possible to create the episodes as individual CDs??

You may think this is illegal but the purpose os purely for backup so that i don't use the originals and scratch them....

JamieR
07-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Erm I don't think so.....you'd need a dvd burner i think. Unless you found some type of compressor or something.

Willy Duitt
07-10-2005, 09:07 AM
http://www.ratdvd.dk/

compresses a full DVD into a file approximately 1gb in size, which can then be played on Widows Media Player, or many other players once the filter is installed. The .ratdvd file can then be uncompressed to be burned as a dvd movie on either a standard (4.36gb) or dual-layer (9gb) DVD.

Nice for storing movies on your hdd, or if you ever feel the need to share...

Note, this program does not decrypt copy-protected DVD's, but will compress files decrypted by other means...

whackaxe
07-10-2005, 11:49 AM
http://www.rarlab.com/

winrar lets you seperate archives into lots of differn't files using a *.r01, .r02 file extension system. you could always split up the DVD contents in an archive and burn it onto several CDs

if they are films, you could always rip them to DivX

Ben@WEBProp
07-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Only one answer for you:

http://www.dvdripguides.com/

Should have everything you need to know. (I used this guide several times, and it rocks...really easy and fairly automated). :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum