View Full Version : Offtone.com Redesigned a Third Time

07-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Actually, it's about the fifth or sixth time, but I tossed the others before ever making them public. I like this one, though.

Seems to work alright in Opera, Gecko, and IE Win. >=5.5. How about Safari? I don't think there's anything crazy complex for Safari to trip over, but who knows.

Thanks for any feedback and/or bug reports.

07-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Safari is fine. And I'm rubbish at writing reviews :D

07-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Or are you just abiding by that old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

07-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Or are you just abiding by that old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?
Nah, It's a pretty $*$@ed nice design, it's just as I said, I'm rubbish at writing reviews :p

07-02-2005, 11:39 PM
It's a pretty $*$@ed nice design

I'll take it :thumbsup: Hehe.

07-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Bloody hell, that is one nice site :eek: .

I think some padding between the columns would be nice; seems a bit cramped as it is.
I think the titles to the posts could be slightly bigger, as they don't seem to stand out very well.
Finally: I think it'd be reallly good if the tape/paper effect on the comment boxes was more random. It looks ok with 2-3 comments, but once it gets to 5+ it starts to look a bit repetitive.

Love the rest though :D .

07-03-2005, 02:45 PM
I like it all...the colors, the shapes, the layout...everything. Very nice work.

07-03-2005, 03:41 PM
2 things:
-the nav isn't very clear (or maybe i'm just to dumb)
-the footer is quite big

other than that, 'tis damn sweet. I especialy like the icons you have next to your recent content parts

PS: you gallery JS code is real nice.

07-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Padding between the columns? I believe there's 15px on either end, and 15px down the center. My guess is that the light grey doorframe on either side is creating some kind of illusion or more padding? But for some reason my eyes are happy with the padding (not enough padding is typically the first thing that bugs me on a design, too).

As for the comments, there's really not much I can do short of actually modifying each image when it's requested and randomly positioning the tape. I might try that, but I think it might prove to be too much for the server. Any amount of templates is going to look repetitive eventually. I'd probably have to get about 6-10 of them before it stopped being really noticeable.

Edit: Oh, and the navigation may be a bit subtle, but I think once you've spotted it (and it's not really THAT hard to spot--certainly not mystery meat) it's fine. You're not the first to admit it took you a second to spot it, though. Heh.

Thanks for the feedback so far, folks :)

07-04-2005, 03:01 AM
I really like the door thing. It lets you know that your at the bottom. :)

I also like how everything is "taped" onto the door.

One question, what blog software is this site using. I'm considering to actually use a blog software. I've been looking for a really simple one, with only a few features, like the post archiving, calendar, comments (maybe....), and post times.

Anyway, good job. I like it.

07-04-2005, 03:29 AM
Wow, that is one VERY nice site!!
I like the header and the navigation, that is very cool IMO :thumbsup:
I also like the theme of the whole site, especially the door at the bottom, and the comment papers are really cool.
As for anything bad, can't think of anything :D

Well Done :thumbsup:

07-04-2005, 03:35 AM
I'm not using any third-party blogging software.

Thanks again guys. Glad there aren't any bugs to fix in other browsers. That's always awesome.

07-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Hey Aaron, just wondering, how did you make your navigation, it's really cool :)

07-04-2005, 02:09 PM
i like your use of colors, even tho its dark it still is very readable!

good work!, i also liked last version. :)

07-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey Aaron, just wondering, how did you make your navigation, it's really cool :)

It's just absolutely-positioned anchors. I set the size and position for each one, and changed the background on :hover.

07-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I like it mate - looks pretty good ;)

Seeing as I'm crap at graphic design, please explain how you did that hinge :D

07-05-2005, 01:06 AM
I cropped it from a photo, then adjusted the levels until it blended :) Hehe.

07-05-2005, 10:48 PM
ahh right...;)

07-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Site looks very good.

07-10-2005, 05:55 AM
Best Offtone yet. It has so many tasty icons and it's so...clean. Really, when I was browsing through my dailies and saw the change, my jaw dropped. Major props for everything.

I'd love to be able to click on the (!) and be taken back to the homepage. And the typography for the body titles (georgia?) wouldn't be my first choice.

I love the symbols in the header. A photograph, a journal, and a computer key. The three sections of the site. Brilliant

Oh, and in the journal, I don't like the [...] stuff. Perhaps an orange » ?

07-11-2005, 11:55 AM
really cool.

I dont totally remember, but i think it at least felt like there was more content on main page before ("sticky" articles right? ... i liked what felt like more content on index ...but im a spaz...)

-Excellent mastery of grey, doesnt seem monotone, but metal.
-love the tape thing.
-showcasing comments is fun, but anti-aliasing on thumbs is weak
-blockquote is stylish, yet elegant
-awesome header, but make the nav more obvious

-fun thumbnails on category pages, but no titles till mouseover is toooo (i dunno, ambigious?), and i feel like i should be able to mouse over to the pop-ups and click something.

...def. really cool... ya thats it

07-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I've adjusted the hover menus to stay visible when hovered over, but I think it has the potential to impede navigation of the galleries (you have to hover off before you can see the images the popup hides).

The thumbnail antialiasing is as good as mathematically possible, I'm guessing. The angle makes the jaggies, and IE sucks with PNGs.

07-11-2005, 02:38 PM
wow, you'r right about that jagged-ness.
just tried to make it better and failed.... too bad about the png thing.
does ie mess ALL pngs? or just background, though?

i dont think the nav/ pop-up thing is an issue.
i don't think it'll throw yr target audience, but i do see what you mean.
maybe have it dissappear after a little while??? (prolly not)...
but you are using js for it right? not straight css...

...on a tangent...
you know what would be really cool?
if when you clicked the ESC button in the header it pop'd up a new window with a RANDOM link from yr database of links (if you have / made one).
...everyone loves an easter egg.

keep up the good work, and props...
(havent read yr writing yet, but yr photos are pretty cool)

07-11-2005, 03:18 PM
The "Esc" button is linked to the admin panel thing when I'm logged in. Suppose I could have it do something random, but that might anger people more than please them.

07-12-2005, 01:33 AM

Very attractive. Doesn't look to glum (I tought it might with that much grey) but alas it looks nice.

As for the the anti-aisling on the thumbs try the attached image. It's .6k larger than yours but I "think" it has sharper edges.

07-12-2005, 01:48 AM
how'd you do it, harbinger??

07-12-2005, 02:23 AM
I just tok his galleryitem.photography.gif and sized it down (close) to the same size as his placeholder.photography.gif. It looks like that maybe the two were made seperate and full size. Like the thumbnail was a seperate image made to size and rotated. By taking the bigger sharper image and adjusting it just enough downward it retained a lot more sharpness.

07-12-2005, 02:42 AM
That's not bad. I'll use it. I've got a 300x300-ish vector of the polaroid image, but when I resize it (even after rasterizing) Photoshop CS2 leaves it jaggy. Other apps might use different algorithms I guess.

07-12-2005, 03:21 AM
hmmm...not bad but the inner border is still messy. try this.

07-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Doesn't seem to have "fixed" it. The inside's pretty much doomed to be jaggy though, without the help of PNGs.

07-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Looks good, but not as nice as previous efforts :(

07-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Nice work! Best yet, that I've seen, by far.

Only thing I don't get is why it transitions from a desktop to a(n admittedly cool looking, but nonetheless non-sequiturish) doorway.

But, :thumbsup: .

Oh! I would also add: every single time I move my mouse to the main title or logo of a site and I am not offered a link home, I mark a tally against that site and its creator! :cool: But I know not everybody feels the same about that convention, and you do have a home link in there... but nonetheless: yarrr... :p

07-13-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks. The transition from desktop to door is less harsh on "tall" pages. It's not really meant to be stuff piled on my door, nor stuff on my desk. It's just stuff of mine. The door to my room's always closed with sunlight creeping in and the bits in the header are just symbolic of every section of the site.

I think it looks good, so the weirdness is less significant. Heh.

07-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Those jaggedy gifs are bringing me down :p
You can get pngs going in IE. Check this out: