View Full Version : What is vti cfn

Exis
06-23-2005, 06:20 PM
I have a major problem with my Webhost: I'm quickly running out of room. When I looked at the files I have on the server, all of them are duplicated and put in various / vti cfn/ folders, which effectivly multiply my actual usage. What is so important about the vti cfn folders, and do they need to be there in the first place?

JamieR
06-23-2005, 06:27 PM
They are frontpage extension files - if you don't use frontpage or it's crappy extensions then just delete them :)

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=61666

Jamie.

Exis
06-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Crud...I was hoping that was not the case...

I do use FP, but only to publish, because years ago when i first made the site in FP, I made our forms with them too. I dont know how to make the forms bots on my own, so I just use FPs built in bots, so I guess I need the server extensions.

So now I guess I am thinking about hosting my own website...but I have a few questions on how to do that, if you can stand answering a few more of my questions weazel :)

So lets say I have a PC here, we'll say pretty standard, about 2Ghz, 512 RAM, 72G HDD @7200RPM, and a Gigabit Ethernet card. I dont really understand where to go from here, other than install Apache and extension. I especially dont understand where to do Domain Name Registration (for free, hopefully). Any links you could point me to?

JamieR
06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Crud...I was hoping that was not the case...

I do use FP, but only to publish, because years ago when i first made the site in FP, I made our forms with them too. I dont know how to make the forms bots on my own, so I just use FPs built in bots, so I guess I need the server extensions.

Well FP is, IMO, one of the evils about web development - a decent FTP client such as Filezilla and a php form-mailer will do you fine and without the need for frontpage. I gave up on it 2 years ago and I'm only 15 ;)

So lets say I have a PC here, we'll say pretty standard, about 2Ghz, 512 RAM, 72G HDD @7200RPM, and a Gigabit Ethernet card. I dont really understand where to go from here, other than install Apache and extension. I especially dont understand where to do Domain Name Registration (for free, hopefully). Any links you could point me to?

Erm..well lol I've already posted a pile of info in 2 other threads so I'll give you the links :)

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=61903
http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?p=324265#post324265

In terms of spec, that would be fine...however I'd get more ram IFIWY but thats up to you. Also what 'net connection do you have?

Jamie.

Exis
06-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Well FP is, IMO, one of the evils about web development - a decent FTP client such as Filezilla and a php form-mailer will do you fine and without the need for frontpage. I gave up on it 2 years ago and I'm only 15 ;)

Yeah, I have tried to go cold turkey since I was about your age, but it keeps reeling me back in. FP is like crack...crack i dont even like. My ISP who i host my site through offers very limited web features: ie Front Page extensions + no PHP, ASP, mySQL, etc...

So there I was again, stuck using FP for the smallest of purposes...

Thanks for the links, I'll check em out and do some online research as well :thumbsup:

My internet connection is DSL, but I wasn't here when it was established, and everyone else in the office has no clue, so I don't really know what my up/down speeds are.

JamieR
06-23-2005, 10:50 PM
My ISP who i host my site through offers very limited web features: ie Front Page extensions + no PHP, ASP, mySQL, etc...

What the!! - How much are you paying for your hosting or is it a free package? :p I know a few free ones which offer better than that ;)

I don't really know what my up/down speeds are.
Your ISP will be able to tell you, however you can find your down speed from the connection properties. In terms of up speed, there are a few utilities which will be able to to tell you, as I can't of an immediate way to do it from windows.....however I'm not thinking straight, lol :p - BT provide me with some nice little dialer thing which tells me my up/down speeds :p

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum